Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Brake and throttle positions....

Speedtrip

My 360R went in for its first service last Friday. Whilst there I asked whether there was any adjustment in the pedal box as th brake is far to low for me to able to heal and toe. There's probably around three inches or so difference.

I was advised my car does have any adjustment in the box and I'd need to fit an alternative accelerator peddle. Does that sound correct?

Cheers in advance.

Don't know if the construction of the pedals has changed on the newer cars ... Are they fly by wire or still have a throttle cable ? Is there no adjustment on the brake linkage between the top of the pedal and the master cylinder ? On our older cars there are several different pivot points for the combined clutch and brake pedal pivot and a separate set of pivot points for the throttle pedal. Take the pedal box cover off and see for yourself.

1. I don't know about recent changes either.
  2. The Assembly Guide did change. I've got a pdf of the section with all the adjustments: let me know if you'd like a copy. They are pretty obvious with one exception... adjustment of the clutch cable to minimise wear where it rides over an edge. One of the adjustments is bending the throttle pedal...
  3. Even with all of the adjustments at their limits my throttle pedal was far too low and is now graced with a lump of mahogany on top.

Jonathan

Still the same spec with all the adjustments SM25T mentioned, although there are now only 2 main pedal pivot points, probably dates back to metric chassis change.

I'm surprised by the figure of 3" as my car of same spec was pretty spot on, the only adjustment I needed was to extend the throttle pedal towards the brake pedal, but I've got dinky feet!

Anyway to answer your question, your service person was not being very factual.

On my 360R and on my previous 2011 Sigma 150 there are two positions for the pedals, not the three from the imperial car.  To get a perfect throttle pedal a lot of bending of the pedal is needed, more than you need to get it to fit in the first place.  When i get round to that task I will purchase a new throttle pedal, bend it, then get it powder coated before fitting.  Its on my to do list but way down, but i did it with my 150 eventually.

There is also a bit of adjustment to be had on the brake master cyl pushrod - basically two nuts used to lock / clamp the yoke that attaches to the pedal.

Just whip the pedal box cover off and have a look!

On my ‘98 dedion I have 3 positions for brake / clutch and accelerator. Brake / clutch are in the middle and accelerator either in forward or back position I cannot remember which (it was 20 years ago I built it!) 

Ian

Thanks for all your responses.

I guess I'll have to investigate further by removing the pedal box cover. I suspect there may be some more adjustment in there...

It does seem rather strange that that the brake pedal is so much lower than the throttle in such a focused drivers car. The need to buy a new pedal sounds frankly daft!

Whilst its difficult to move the clutch and brake pedals the accelerator pedal also has two positions and is easily moved. I had a similar issue in my 360r and was able to move the accelerator pedal backwards, this bringing the brake forward and improving the heel and toe action. 

Some tips include

when moving throttle pedal, cut off the cable end and use the inside of a wiring connector block instead, much easier to adjust and replace

adjust the throttle stops so as to prevent undue stress on cable

i also used a vice and lever to adjust the pedal away from brake pedal to make room for my feet

i used a length of 2x1 to lever the brake pedal the other way, insert through top of pedal box, it works

i removed brake and clutch pedal rubbers and used some anti slip tape instead, again makes room for the shoes

finally after all this have good heel and toe and room for my size 10’s, just.

Another mod I recall someone doing is a short piece of plastic sink waste pipe in the ring of the accelerator to make it wider. Apparently it is a tight fit. There are two sizes of pipe so measure first ( 1 1/4 and 1 1/2)

I think a young neighbour of Mucus72 was machining ally ones - recall seeing in bulk buys a while ago.

Ian

Today I took a peak inside the peddle box. The brake and clutch have two possible positions, as does the throttle. So many thanks to the dealer who told me porky-pies...... The brake and clutch where at the furthest position and the throttle the nearest, hence the issue.

As sjl1 suggested (many thanks) I've now moved the throttle to the furthest position and the pedals are much better. Still not perfect so still a little more tweaking is in order.