Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Just done something too stupid for words ....put diesel in my crossflow

Hi Paul / All

Yes you may be right (damages claim) and I'm not holding my breath but if nothing else it might make them look at the signage at that particular pump (one guy on another forum identified the pump number I'd filled at before I even volunteered the info)!

If it helps stop someone else from doing it then it's worth it.

Bottom line it's my fault but I have never even come close to doing it before and am fastidious in checking so - given others doing the same thing at the same pump - then there must be something that's making people shove the wrong pump in thinking that it's petrol....can't all be coincidence/absentmindedness.

I used to laugh at the muppets I knew who had done this! until I was returning from Skye on a new CBR600. I was tired and almost ran out of fuel and just made to Ponteland and filled up with low sulphur diesel. 

I took off down the bypass past the airport and developed a misfire, Honda they never go wrong until I looked in my mirror and vast plumes of white smoke was pouring out the exhaust.

I made to a car parking area and knew straight away! I just tipped out the diesel and drained the carbs ( this was back in 2000 ) called a mate with a petrol can and a few splutters later all was ok.

The only worry was the diesel that was left in the belly pan which made corners a bit of a worry

• Area Representative

Having read this post, yesterday at The Shell petrol station near Rye, I was extremely careful to double check I had selected the right fuel. It is too easy to make a mistake if you are in a hurry or tired. Luckily, three of us were out for a Blat to Rye and in no hurry and enjoying the weather.

The problem doesn't just lie with the pump marking but with the driver who forgets that they're driving the diesel car today rather than their usual  petrol vehicle.  The answer has to be mechanical and somewhat more sophisticated than the current two-size nozzle which only works one way and stops putting diesel in a petrol car. 

My last two (three?) diesel Mondeos all came with a shutter device on the filler entry that would accept only diesel nozzles.  As a bonus, it's also capless.

Ford call this brilliant idea Easy-Fuel.  Works perfectly (even with the grotty cheap-o nozzles you often get at some down-market French service stations).  

JV

I often spend ages in Italian "petrol" stations trying to figure out what's diesel and what's not, looking for 98, which is very hard to find in any case. Beats me why we can't have some standard EU nozzle markings such as "petrol" "diesel" or the local language equivalents being benzina and diesel. Makes me wish I had a sense of smell, assuming the pump nozzles smell different. - anthony