Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Want to fit a reverse light - where is the wire ?/connector Sigma vct

arty

Hi oldboarder. I wonder if the switch was not fitted at all in build. Is the switch located a long way forward just near to bellhousing? opposite a blanking plate in the passenger footwell ? If so then I haven't got the switch and explains lack of wires.

It was reachable from inside the car thro' the tunnel opening. I can't be more accurate without jacking up the car & crawling underneath. I checked one of the best build blogs out there, Team Ivan's, & they also had the two wiring connectors on their Mazda gearbox.

Just edited my earlier post wires on my Diagram were Wires were G 68  & GN 227. Appologies.

My Sigma diagrams are PDF's of actual drawings not in the build guides Rev A SIGMA TA 2013 CHASSIS HARNESS (30L195A) dated 29/08/13. 

In the revision description it says: "Lambda connector added. Reverse switch connection changed to pin
econoseal with sub loom."

Yes Jim the 2 pairs of both blue wires are connected together on my car. Don't know weekday they are. The prospective location opp blanking plate is much further forward. Ian Payne said when they were making it road worthy that several parts of wiring were missing. I guess the racers cut everything off that they Donny want to save weight.

So are Tyne pair of blues supposed to be connected together and where is the switch suppose to be located is where I am at now.

Nipping out for quick hour on boulders as had enough of this for a sunny day. Ba n on it at 5. Thanks Jim

The type of diagram that Caterham now use doesn't show the wires as continuous end-to-end ways. Instead it uses those ID numbers and you have to search for the same number appearing somewhere else.

The colours are a *standardish code, where there are two letters the second is the trace colour. (The code values have to get round the design fault in English of too many colours starting with "B"!)

ScreenShot2018-04-09at15_27_37.png.03c6bad819caf0bd564c2dfb7b196461.png

Jonathan

ScreenShot2018-04-09at15_27_11.png.a76f58196cd654c47917f0014399204a.png

Rich the connectors on both sets of wires look, from my photo below, like one is male and the other is female.  The fact that both sets of leads on your car appear to be connected is possibly just for tidyness particularly if your car started life on track and didn't need a reverse light. Are there any tied back leads on your main loom that runs along the inside of the transmission tunnel?

DSC_0005.JPG.c8d532eb45f999db0934a94e9cfa8354.JPGOK

Am i making some assumptions.

The pairs of blue wires are connected together - 1 pair to another pair and they have connectors to suit.

Becuase of the ends [not econoseal as i thiin of it] I Assume they are meant to be like that.

I have put a meter on each of the 4 wires, i assume that there should be a reading - but perhaps that is not correct if they need power first.

The spade fittings tucked up high with the loom IS the correct green and brown colour and HAS a live. Reading 40 'somethings'

So perhaps i connect these [by changing the end fitting] to one of the pair of blue wires. And perhaps then that gives it the power. And then perhaps it will read power at the econoseal connector in the boot that again fits the description.

It also fits with the above advice that it is all reachable from the tunnel.

The wire connectors are the misleading thing.

Home 01729 823173 if its easier

That sounds like a plan! As an additional check, what about testing for current will flow through the the 2 blue wires exiting the switch by engaging / disengaging reverse.  If it all works don't forget to make sure all the wires are tied away from the handbrake mechanism.

great thinking Jim.

back on it tomorrow - that suggestion is obvious if you are multimeter competent, but i am better at plastering and building and fixing the solid metal bits on cars. Just looked up how to test continuity. feel really good about a positive outcome in morning.

Success - Conclusion in case anyone reads this as i did for the previous thread [Marcus?]

I completed at continuity test to the blue wires that emerge from the switch on the LHS of gearbox. No reading in neutral, reading in reverse. I connected these to the loom and completed a live test at the rear Econoseal connector in the boot. The same positive results were experienced, no reading in neutral, positive reading in reverse. Going to ring Redline for an econoseal connector for my new reverse light.

The reverse switch IS the one at the left side of the gearbox, mounted vertically downwards. It has 2 blue wires wrapped in black held in place on the top of the gearbox and terminated with female spade connectors with black plastic fittings. Mine were attached to the other similar blue wires from the switch on the top. I detached this connection and connected the pair of spade connectors[black plastic] with those that were tied up out of the way at the top of the tunnel, one of which was a permanent live.

As a result the wiring now is as diagram colourwise located in the Nearside of the tank taped with the lighting cable.

Many thanks all who helped me get to this point, particulalry Jim and Johnathan.

Main lesson is just because two connections are made with suitable connectors doesn't mean they should be.

I hope this conclusion helps someone else.

Good result ! Before you put the tunnel cover back on you might want to pop the gearshift off and check the oil in the selector turret. On the 5 speed box, the oil in the selector turret is separate from the main box.  MX5 owners have found the shift quality can deteriorate over time as the oil migrates into the main box.  A top up / periodic check is recommended by Mazda as a preventative measure. 

You were right Jim, it was as good as empty. Not dry but it would need a dipstick. Got my light actually fixed and working, removed extinguisher pipe, replaced tunnel. ACF'ed seat runners and seat footwell, changed a harness that i had. Will prob fit carpet to behind seats tomorrow. Wow that car can suck up some time. No diy ing done and now its running training.