Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Want to fit a reverse light - where is the wire ?/connector Sigma vct

arty

Hi all, I fitted a fog light yesterday which was easy as i was just changing to a fitted led one on the body.

I have bought a matching reverse light but i don't know where to find the wire.

I put the ignition on and car in reverse and used a electrical tester on a connector on the L [nearside] but couldn't get a reading although it is dirty.

And i tried it on 2 unconnected spade connectors on the right [O/ side] .

I downloaded the assembly manual but there isn't much on it [p164 ish]

I realise its not easy for anyone just o look due to the location but if anyone can remember where or have any hints then that would be great.

Thanks Oldboarder, i had access to a glamorous assistant today. I found a green wire on the O/S of petrol tank that is an extra brake light connector which i wanted to find anyway and a permanent live at the back of the boot in the middle.

There is a green wire in a connector block that is pretty dirty but i can't get a reading for that with the car in reverse gear.

Still trying , i am hopeful that it is because the connection is dirty

Hi Jim 123, you have offered help to me before about fitting press studs.

No the car has not had a reverse light before , apparently i don't need one for an MOT [ Ian Payne says]. But i have got the boot out and access for fitting the fog light so i thought i would fit a reverse too.

I can access a dirty connector block with open connections , ie half of the connector and am hopeful that it is just dirt. Friday i shall get underneath to see if the gearbox connector is obvious.

Hi SM, again i had access to a glamorous assistant today. I found a green wire on the O/S of petrol tank that turned out to be an extra brake light connector which i wanted to find anyway and i found a  a permanent live at the back of the boot in the middle.

There is a green wire in a connector block that is pretty dirty but i can't get a reading for that with the car in reverse gear.

Still trying , i am hopeful that it is because the connection is dirty.

I did not look behind the tank [ that i found to be loose and hopefully the cause of some clanging about last year.]

Just back from a fell race on the isle of man staying with my initial inspiration for the car. Going to take it over sometime.

Remember if you would like to visit our area you are welcome to use our house as a base

Rich, FYI there are 2 switches mounted into the LH side of the Mazda gearbox.  Each have econoseal connectors after a few inches of wiring.  The reversing light switch is the rearmost of the switches and it is mounted high up on the side of the gear selector housing.  Should you have to check if there is any loom connection to the reverse light switch on your box, you will need to remove the transmission tunnel cover to get access.  

Hi Jim,

I am having difficulty removing the tunnel. I presume [from assembly guide] i de adjust the handbrake to get it vertical.

But i don't know how to . I see there are 2 plastic rotating adjusters accessible from the boot but there it looks doubtful to get enough movment although not fully tried that. I was too busy squiring under, raising the car more, checking fuses, and levering the tunnel to try to see.

But really i have to remove it. I have one seat out.

Any common english understanding of adjusting it out enough?

Rich

Dear all followers of my difficulty [ wish i'd asked PT sportscars to do this job originally before i bought it]I am having difficulty removing the tunnel. I presume [from assembly guide] i de adjust the handbrake to get it vertical.

But i don't know how to . I see there are 2 plastic rotating adjusters accessible from the boot but there it looks doubtful to get enough movement although not fully tried that. I was too busy squiring under, raising the car more, checking fuses, and levering the tunnel to try to see.

But really i have to remove it. I have one seat out.

Any common english understanding of adjusting it out enough?

Strangley i am kind of enjoying this but i keep taking more bits off the car.

Rich

Once you separate the two white knurled adjusters ... you can just spin the rearmost one down the cable towards the rear .... followed by the other. One acts as a locknut once you set the required position. Once cable slack you can pull handrail vertical. Usually two self tappers on ears at rear of tunnel top.. unscrew gear knob too. Pull tunnel top rearwards to free it from front end

ach, well tunnel off easy enough now.

I looked at the link to other discussion and my gearbox looks like his.

However the forward connections are a switch that is wired into the the switch/ connector at bottom of gearbox [could be a pressure or oil sensor?]

the rear most green spade connectors have a permanent live in reverse or neutral. I  can't see from where it originates , its just in the loom.

Could do with a chat with someone who has just built theirs??

The pair furthest away from the gear lever are the reversing switch. The other pair is the unused , for my 310SV, neutral gear position connector.

That sounds as if it might be different. Did you find a wiring diagram that matched?

Rich: Please could you add photos and the colours of all the wires.

Thanks

Jonathan