Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Some stupid 1.6L VX questions

andyl

Sorry about this but:-

1) Does it run an ECU?

2) I presume that the Weber chokes are not connected?

3) I have bought a heater on here, does anybody have either a manual or an extract of a manualthat will show me how to connect it to the cooling system?

4) Is there a service manual out there that will help me see my way around it?

Thanks in advance Andy

3) I have bought a heater on here, does anybody have either a manual or an extract of a manualthat will show me how to connect it to the cooling system?

4) Is there a service manual out there that will help me see my way around it?

Have you already got an Assembly Guide? If not please send me a Private Mail with your email address.

Jonathan

My first 7 (bought in 1999) was a VX engined car - this is going back a bit, but I'm reasonably certain I remember correctly ...

1) Does it run an ECU?

Yes - it's mounted on the scuttle bulkhead close to the steering column from memory.

I retro-fitted a heater to mine - all I can remember is that a three-funnel submarine and a load of 5/8" ID (I think) rubber hose was required - and a bleed tee is probably a good idea.  I might still have the submarine - I'll check tomorrow.

Not very definitive I'm afraid, but some help I hope ...

Adam

Adam is right about the ECU.  On my 1998 1.8VX it was an MBE but dont have a record of the number.  My local rolling road  man found the aged software incompatible with his kit.  The car came with a heater which we hardly ever used.  A bigger issue was dealing with excess heat particularly in the passenger footwell - we seemed to fix that eventually with loads of insulation on both sides of the bulkhead.  I found a Haynes Manual in Oxfam which gave details on processes like changing the cam belt. 

Adam I wondered what you were talking about ( 3 funnel sub) now I have a manual I can see!

Yes if you have a submarine for sale I would be interested, do you know where the other heater connection is connected too?

Regards Andy

I have a 2.0 vx but I think the plumbing might be the same. From distant memory ( I don't now have a heater) one connection goes from the front of the head to the 3 way submarine and the other to the rear of the head. You need to plumb a heater control valve into the latter pipe. Others will verify ( or not ....)

Andy, Apologies for the delay - I've just looked and I'm afraid the submarine I have only has one funnel - sorry about that ...

And I remember being similarly bemused by all this talk of submarines and funnels when I was in a similar position to you!

My 1998 build manual has an amendment section for the 8v vauxhall incl cooling circuit with and without heater.

If you send me a pm with your address I’ll copy/post it or better still an email address and I’ll scan it and send.

Regards

​Ian

PS - thats the vauxhall amendments not the whole manual :-)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Andy - do you know if your car has had a thermostat added (sorry if you've mentioned this in other threads)? If you want the heater to work you'll need one! I followed the advice in post #13 in this thread:

https://www.lotus7.club/forum/techtalk/vx-16-8v-thermostat?page=1

which didn't need the submarine pipe, just a long piece of small hose and the stat. It worked fine for me for 10,000 miles in all weathers.

I bought one of these

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VAUXHALL-THERMOSTAT-GENUINE-NEW-90232012/152314376299?epid=1327089471&hash=item2376a4f06b:g:eMQAAOSwx2dYJfPO

​and drilled a small (3mm from memory) hole in the stat as a bypass before doing the hose mod.

The other advice I have is to keep an eye on your water pump - mine lunched its bearings even though the car had only done about 6k miles and I was lucky it didn't take the cambelt with it.