Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Decat pipe

Speedtrip

I'm considering fitting a decat pipe to my 360R as I'd prefer a more roarty exhaust note. Can anyone confirm how much difference it would make? Also would it release anymore ponies, not that the car really needs them?

I'm assuming figment is very straight forward by just removing the silencer, springs and loosening the clamps etc. On reassembly should the joints be sealed?

Thanks in advance.

Andy

My R400D bypass pipe produced a slightly harder/harsher exhaust note, but very little if any extra performance.  My main reason for fitting it was to preserve the cat, having suffered a severe bout of misfiring that killed the original.

I don't use sealant but I think some folks use a suitable silicone compound.  Fitting is as you describe and is a doddle.

JV

At least the decat. pipe won't ever wear out, so if you get one and then decide it isn't worth it, you can sell it again for only a slight loss, possibly no loss if you find a secondhand one.  Win/win, what's not to like?  Unless you feel really guilty about putting all those unburnt hydrocarbons into the atmosphere of course?

I have one to sell from my old CSR, now sadly gone, but don't know if it will fit other Duratec cars?  Maybe an SV?

Yes it did.  In my attempts to reduce cabin temps, I first of all removed the plastic rad cowl, and then (some time later) wrapped the primaries.  If I find I need to do more, I'll look into footwell insulation, but at the moment cabin temps are ok.

JV

I’m keen to look into this option in the future, please can you post up some pictures and details when it’s done? I have a few questions?

Where in Abingdon are you getting it done?

Is this the same as ceramic coating?

What colour finish did you go for?

Are your headers new?

If not is there any prep needed?

Are they counting the inside as well as the outside?

How much is it costing you to get the headers done if you don’t mind me asking?

Thanks in advance,

Frosty,

The company is called zircotec

Plasma sprayed ceramic coating is the description of the process

I have a black pack SV and so wanted a black exhaust to match and having bought a used set of headers/exhaust wanted to tidy them up. Zircotec prep the metal and apply the coating, though I didn't ask about the inside now I come to think of it!.

The headers were £36 per 300mm the cat and exhaust £46 per 300mm

​I went for the black / volcanic range which is claimed to reduce heat by 15% primarily in an attempt to avoid K click, I may well fit a heat shield as well if it doesn't work. We shall see.........

Thanks for the quick reply, I’ll try and work out what the cost would be just to get my headers done, as I don’t mind the polished bypass pipe and muffler (which aren’t that much of a pain to polish using Autosol metal polish).

Another question though; what’s “K click”?

• Area Representative

I used to fit the decat pipe on my R300 after the mot when I first got the car. To be honest, I could not tell the difference or notice and change in sound, so after a few years, I gave up.