Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Upgrade rescue

Alan Reeves

I had an upgrade to my Dura 175-210 back in November and the results didnt go to plan. It would not start from cold very easily, hunted on tickover seemed to be ok on the road albeit not given any welly due always damp but would not work on the new/correct injectors.

It went back in and still no resolve.

I had been asking advice from Mick Attree who I had never met but I had mailed before re my previous, a CSR, which he had built.

Bottom line is I took my current car to Mick and he sorted it, cam timing, in a couple of hours and great to watch...a proper engineer with so much know how and engine builder...he has a 300 bhp 2.5 dura !

Now mine works from cold, even tickover, correct injectors and drive so well

big thanks to Mick

Am thinking about a similar upgrade and was would be interested to hear what your upgrade consisted in detail and why you think it went wrong. CC charge £2300 for this upgrade and i suspect considerable savings can be made but obviously only if a good result can be achieved?

I got 210hp out of my Duratec with stock internals and a standard Caterham Exhaust. The changes made were good throttle bodies and new ECU and mapping...

By the time you buy throttle bodies you'll pay out around £1000, another £600 for an unlocked MBE ecu, Then you'll need a session on the rolling road..... So the home upgrade path will be circa £2,000....With that in mind unless your lucky with second hand parts then the CC option is not far off cost wise and it's a factory upgrade which would help with any resale value nad warranty.

Cheers

Ian

sjl1, im not sure you can get the upgrade from CC they seem to do a 195 then 220 whereas they previously did the 210 ?

I certainly didnt save any money or not that much compared to your quote but it is for 210 via cams, re map, springs , injectors

Mossy, it was unfortunate and I will be using the company again

A

Thanks for replies

i thought upgrade was cams, springs, caps, injectors and remap 175->210bhp? Thought throttles bodies would take that 210->220bhp

420r doesnt have throttle bodies, same plenum as 360r

​i would prefer to stick with standard plenum and avoid throttle bodies as higher maintenance

• 2 weeks later...

Can anyone advise on best path for upgrade please, camshafts and springs or TB's? Both seem to achieve similar power but very different approaches. Also would prefer to use at least Caterham parts (eg cams & springs) to ensure resale value

Thanks

CC upgraded my D with both Cams Springs and RB's  what CC call the 220 up grade kit , I'm very pleased with the car now totally different drive now very responsive and sounds more like a sports car should , I wasn't happy with the Map supplied by them so the Two Steves waved their wand over it and I've now got a custom Map to my engine and not a generic one.

The way I see it if you only go for Cams and Springs you are still restricted ! The new cams lift the valves open further because the lobes are taller and the more powerful springs shut the valves quicker and hold them shut firmer but the air into the engine is still restricted by the small air intake in the air filter and P chamber ! , Where as if you go for the RB's as well each inlet has its own throttle and trumpet and free flow air cleaner with maximum air flow to the engine without a blower.