Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Wheel Fitment

davidbolam

My car has Minilite style wheels on it. its a 1996 k series car. and i really want to change over to the 13" anthracite style ones that were on the R500. failing that a new set of Apollo ones from Caterham.

My question is will they fit on my car. I've seen people talk about 6 and 8 inch width ones.

Are the rear meant to be wider than the fronts or can they be the same?

Apologies if this is a question that has been asked many times before.

They will fit your car, you'll see things written about Ford pcd, this is the type of hubs your car has.

People put the larger 8 inch wheels on the rear, for two reasons, 1, aesthetic, they look better, fill the rear arches makes the cars stance a bit more aggressive. 2. Their engines produce more than 200-220bhp, and therefore prefer more grip from the rear.

With a standard 1600k, 6 inch wheels all around will be fine for your power levels.

Alan

David, assuming you mean the anthracites that Caterham used to sell then yes they’re a direct swap. On the R500 they would have fitted 6” fronts and 8” rears, but that was down to the power of the R500. Unless you have 200BHP+ then you don’t need 8” although some fit for aesthetic purposes. Caterham don’t sell the anthracites any more so you’ll need to look out secondhand. I have the Apollo wheels on my k-series (6” front & 8” rear) they fit fine, but I did have to have the rear drop link turned the other way round as it fouled the 8” wheels, would have had no problem with 6” rears.

Graham.

David,

the other thing to consider is ground clearance. If your car is on 14s and runs a wet sump then going to 13s puts the sump 1/2” closer to the road.

It doesnt sound much but can make a catastrophic difference when you pass over a raised cats eye on a heavily cambered road. 

I run a dry sump so have a shallower sump so 13’s are fine.

If you really want 13s then running 70 series tyres might be the compromise.

Regards

Ian