Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Alloy Sump Welding - Leicester / Loughborough or Grantham / Newark Areas

revilla

I need to get a circular aluminium threaded boss welded into an alloy cast sump.

I've cut out an appropriate hole into which the boss will fit, so it's just a case of welding clean metal to metal. No old cracks with oil hiding in them, but I know that cast sumps can sometimes "sweat" oil due to porosity so need care during welding. For that reason I'd like to use somebody with experience in TIG welding cast alloy sumps, rather than asking the local alloy wheel show to weld it up for me.

Can anyone recommend anyone from experience of similar work around Loughborough / Leicester area (home) or Grantham / Newark area (work) (or further afield if required, I'll travel if I need to to get a decent job done)?

Thanks,

Andrew

• Area Representative

Try Craven & Nicholas in Boston (Lincs) just Google the name will come up.

I've had an alloy sump guard repair done by them some years ago, seem to remember it being ok. They did a stainless exhaust repair & some other bits too.

Thanks for the replies. Craven & Nicholas are a bit of a hike the other side of work but their website says they are open from 7:45am so I could drop stuff off and collect first thing and still make it back to work on time. I notice they also offer blasting services. I was going to get the sump blasted elsewhere after welding but if they could offer a one-stop solution that would be perfect. I'll give them a call.

There's a bloke in Newark who I used when I worked at NSK to weld stuff up for us.  He's very good ( I've worked in the aerospace industry for many years so know a good welder) he's off Bowbridge road in Newark, his name escapes me but the company is Craven Fabrications. If you're still struggling I doubt Im far away I could take it into work and get one of the lads to do it for you.