Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Ride height

Angrybee

Hiya,

Silly noob question alert!

Have a 1.6K Supersport, with wide track but no adjustable platform.

I just put 175/55/13 CR500 on it and I’m worried the sump is low.

Is the only way to adjust ride hieight with adjustable platforms? Also the rear of the car has huge space between the tyre and the arch.

Thanks

Oli

Hi Angry.

Usual standard answer is if you can roll a coke can under the sump you're okay. You can get a kit that adds the screw sleeves and winders to the standard Bilsteins. Fairly easy job if you have a vice and spring compressors.

Clive.

You can just have the sleeves and platforms off the old units. Cheaper than buying new platforms. Something else that may be of interest ... the front springs are 250lb units .... helps keep the sump off the ground in high speed compressions .... and smooth out bumps quite effectively too. Made a big difference when I fitted them in place of the standard (150lb ?) springs.

Thanks SM25T

When I bought it it had knackered A048s which I asked the dealer to change to CR500s so I don’t remember the difference. I think those tyres would increase height by 14mm, no idea how that would affect the stance.

ill PM you for just the sleeves. How do the 250lbs affect the handling? I’m new to high performance cars and first caterham so I want to keep it relatively standard in terms of feel until I get to grips, that said I do want to not smash my sump and would like to corner weight the car at some point.

if on progressive rear springs it should sit 35mm higher at the rear, measure the front height under the chassis on the rear of the lower wishbone and the rear just on the edge of the rear wing, the rake is there to compensate squat witch to be honest is poor on a std Caterham set up.

Never seen someone siting in a car when geometry are checked. only for corner weights, a bag of sand is not a human body other wise all racing teams would use a bag of sand to do the corner weight. i position the scales display on a chair next to me while sitting in the car so i can see where the difference is and make according changes.

I usually sit on two sets of scales in the driving position and take reading from both and position sand bags accordingly in the car.

Nice if you've got electronic scale display that can be seen form the driving seat, mine are analogue and I need to take a reading at each wheel, 

Ballast should always be used for geometry checks as compressing the suspension alters caster camber and toe, most car manufacturers use well weights to ballast the car prior to set up.