Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Silverstone Grand Prix trackday - NOW CANCELLED DUE TO WEATHER

Shortshift

Hi James and all,

So the beast from the east 2 is here and there’s about 5in of snow sitting on my trailer and it’s still coming and isn’t meant to get above freezing until midday tomorrow at Silverstone! 

Does anyone know if the day at Silverstone is likely to be cancelled? And if so when will the decision to be made? 

Looking at posts from a couple of weeks ago, days were cancelled with the snow, but often only on the day, after people had tracked across the country to get there which seems like an unnecessary risk for all of us. 

Hopefully the met office is wrong my and it’s goimg to be 25 degrees and blue skies tomorrow, but I doubt it! 

Any updates before 05:00 tomorrow would be great! 

Thanks and possibly see you all there if there’s no news! 

Andrew 

• Leadership Team

Hi Andrew

I guess you're not alone in these thoughts!

For what it's worth, I am around 40 miles or so away from Silverstone and there's only a dusting (maybe a tad more) of snow here at the moment.  The forecasts suggest that there will be no more snow - here or at Silverstone - after around 10am this morning and the forecast for tomorrow is actually dry and lots of sun.  That said, I think it will be a touch chilly...

I don't expect tomorrow's event to be cancelled unless there is an unexpected change in circumstances.  If anything does happen, I will be told via MGs on Track (who have arranged the day, and from whom we have purchased our sessions) and I will alert members as quickly as possible.  But to repeat - I don't expect any changes!

Incidentally, there is a trackday at Silverstone today that is arranged through Opentrack; I'll keep an ear open for how it goes for them.

James

Hi James,

Thanks for the speedy response! That’s good news although it will be an interesting day on a damp and very chilly circuit....but if we survive the first few sessions, we’ll all be better drivers for it! 

Amazing how things are so different 80mi away in Winchester but fingers crossed! 

Goodwood was interesting yesterday and a lot of the gp cars were running slicks but it was amazing to see the old bmw 3.0csl batmobiles spending most of their time sideways! Apparently the racing is still on today...hats off to them! 

Thanks for keeping us updated and probably see you tomorrow,

Andrew 

• Leadership Team

Thanks Ian - I had been looking out but not on Twitter.

Probably not a surprise that today's Opentrack event has been canceled but I'm still confident about tomorrow.  Shame, though, that the Opentrack chaps aren't doing their bit to sweep away whatever snow has fallen at Silverstone...

James

I know Silverstone have sweepers but do they have any way of clearing snow ? It’s not going to clear quickly with temperatures hovering around zero .

Reminds me af a trip i made to the Nurburgring ring  in March . Got there and sat around for two days due to snow , drove home .The date was 26th March . How do I remember the date so well ? Well I had booked and forgotten it was my wedding anniversary !!!! A crime I have been reminded of regularly over the passing years  .

• Leadership Team

Update - just heard that Silverstone Circuits will be making a decision about our day tomorrow at around midday today, so expect an update from me on here early in the afternoon.

Fingers crossed!

James

• Area Representative

I hope the update is made before 1pm so that I have a chance to cancel my hotel if necessary.

• Leadership Team

UPDATE AS OF 1130:  SILVERSTONE CIRCUITS HAS CANCELLED TOMORROW'S TRACKDAY DUE TO WEATHER CONDITIONS.

Dave, Simon and I will be contacting everyone who booked, to make sure all participants are aware.

Expect to hear from us as sometime soon(ish) with details of a new date (possibly a warm day later in the year for the price of a chilly March date!) as and when we know more.

Sorry chaps - but out of our hands!

James

Such a shame, I live only a small hop further north and we had 10cm of snow overnight and none of it is melting, so I suppose inevitable. Hope you get a great option for a new date later in the year. I’m up for it if possible!

I was just about to set of for my garage (10mins away) to get everything ready for the trackday tomorrow when I noticed the text message advising me the trackday was cancelled.

It makes sense as there is still lying snow here and I am only 40ish miles away...

I just hope that I can make the rescheduled day when it is announced.

Steve

Thanks to the team for ringing round today with the news. It takes a lot of effort to get these days organised so felt bad for the guys as much as anything. First world problems for us! As Steve says, fingers crossed I can make the (hopefully warmer!) day in the summer. 

Thanks James / Dave for the update and call yesterday .

Really unlucky with the timing of the bad weather , if only it had been 24 hours earlier ................ bright sunshine now ..

Nevermind , looking forward to the rebooked date