Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Dismantling windscreen surround for refurbishment

Jumpin Jack Flash

I have just had a new piece of laminate glass cut for my screen & am putting it back together today. The rubber just pulls out but it may be worth replacing, I have strips of one &half mm, once back in I will trim with a Stanley knife to remove visible rubber. You must not lose the aluminium triangles in the bottom corners and must not mix them up and remember which way they go round

Good luck

A thought on your question

If you meant get the glass out, thinking its like a car windscreen and you remove the rubber.

The way to take glass out is to remove stanchions either side, its either 3 or 2 screws each side. Then remove the rubber which sits below the windscreen,. Under this rubber is a screw in each corner remove these and the bottom part of the frame will come away. There is another screw under the stanchion on either side, remove these and the glass comes out and you will be able to take rubber out. These screws screw into the aluminum triangle

Quick tip. Have glue/pads ready for putting back your mirror.

fwiw I had a surround metal polished from the grey to mirror finish very reasonably with the stanchions.

I used soapy liquid to ease it all back. Removing the rubber surround I put it in a big bowl of soapy water to see if I could rejuvenate it a bit whilst the surround was away.

its worth trying 'wanted' section for surrounds, as some insurance replacements replace the whole thing, that's how I got mine from a member who cleverly kept his smashed screen, and surround.