Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Driving your car to and from the track

PEC

Dear All,

This is just a quick question before potentially getting into Caterham ownership, as a road and track day car. From your experience, what is the proportion of people attending a track day who drive their car to and from the track, never using any trailer or special van at any time in the season?

Thank you very much

The track I normally go to is 260km away, I always drive down the night before the track event, then drive back in the evening after the event. Jack, tyre pump and spare fuel can go in the passenger footwell, box with tools, spare parts, helmet, etc on the passenger seat, overnight bag, tonneau and hood in the boot, track tyres and wheels with aeroscreen strapped to them on a roll bar rack:

image_17.jpeg.73f9771ed498b3ace7add30124954a49.jpeg

I've done a lot of track days and I drive, but I always have the fall-back of friends who trailer their cars. I've had to borrow wheels with legal tyres to get home a few times *driving*

5 hours to Anglesey? You must have taken the direct route *whistle* Last time, two of us had a great blat up through mid-Wales and it took most of the day.  On the way back we decided to go down the M6 to get past Birmingham quickly - and got stuck for hours in the boiling sunshine as it was closed to deal with the "6 dead in a Micra" crash *furious*

Thank you very much for these details. So, you regularly drive to the track but, once you are there, which proportion of drivers around you have done the same? More or less than 50% More or less than 75%?

Many thanks

• 4 weeks later...

Hi there,

I think  the majority of people use a trailer, as often travel 2 or 3 hundred miles to trackdays/races.

My own experience, as a novice trackie, is that I like the comfort of my tintop and as the weather is unreliable, driving back from Croft in pissing rain,and dark with HGVs,

and lots of spray, it becomes a cold and wet exhausting trip in a 7

I did drive to 3 events this year, Castle Combe Abingdon and Dunsfold.All less than 2 hours from home.The weather was beautiful and hot and it was a nice blat with a stop off on the way home for coffee and Caterham

snapshots. It`s handy to have a trailer, as you can stuff the tow vehicle with tools, spares ,tea making stuff, and chairs etc.

My advice is, Get a trailer, then you can still drive your 7 , but you have the option of comfort too!