Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Tin Top Brake Wear Curiosity

virden

My Vauxhall Insignia, has just returned from its second major service  with the news that as per the first,  the front and rear NS  brake pads have worn much more than the OS pads.   The car drives well and I have no issues with braking or handling so what is the cause?   We have  a lot of muddy surface water on the edges of the roads up here, could it be grit from going through these that causes the extra wear?

How interesting. 

I'd check whether:

1. The discs are identical.
  2. The pads are identical.
  3. The retardation on test rollers is very similar (even though you've already thought about that on the road).
  4. The wheels are running freely both hot and cold.
  5. There's anything from the ABS or similar on the diagnostic analyser.
  6. It's mentioned in any Vauxhall or Opel forum.

I would rather think it would be the stability control that caused this.

More, please, elie...

Jonathan

My tin top is also an Insgnia driven on the West Coast of Scotland. I had my second service earlier this year at 34k miles with no significant uneven brake pad wear. However was advised I needed new discs and pads all round as they where down to the metal. Quoted over £500 to replace with after market parts.. I drove the car home, carefully, and did the job myself for less than half the cost with good qaulity parts. Incidentally they where not down to the metal but near.

Sorry I can't cast light on the uneven wear phenomenon but thought my similar experience may be relevant.

HI Jonathan and Robert

"The discs are identical.     Yep,  all replaced at the same time
The pads are identical.      Yes, replaced with the discs
The retardation on test rollers is vey similar (even though you've already thought about that on the road). Yes, passed its MOT with no referrals
The wheels are running freely both hot and coldSeemed to be OK when the car was on the ramp, not tried that when hot, but a "hand test sugggests that none of the wheels are running hot.
There's anything from the ABS or similar on the diagnostic analyser.  Do not know whether this was checked at Service/MOT
It's mentioned in any Vauxhall or Opel forum. No idea, this the only forum I use

"I would rather think it would be the stability control that caused this"  Could be, I don't normally notice it, but it does not seem to like spirited driving over a tight serious of bends and dips, the back can get seriously out of shape.  Answer : slow down!!

If it was due to the traction control cutting in due to wheel spin, to be getting that degree of pad wear differential, surely you would also be noticing the a similar diffrential in tyrewear between n/s and o/s - is there any marked diffrences there.

Perhaps it could be a faulty traction control sensor intermittedly braking the near side of the vehicle when they are not actually spinning, although I suspect if it were the handling would be all over the place as the car would be constantly pulling to the left.

Noit much help I'm afraid, but I would suggest a diagnostic plug in at Vauxhall would be required to check if theyre is a problem or whether they have any answers