Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Sigma Coolant Loss

alcal

Hello All,

I've owned a Roadsport with the 140 upgrade for 2 years and throughout this time its has been  losing a small amount of coolant - about a third of a pint every 500 miles. 7s&Cs pressure tested the system and pronounced it ok. There is no trace of water in the oil or oil in the water. There is no obvious leak and I am mystified!

Has anyone else experienced this or got any ideas?

Thanks

Thanks all

I've looked in the places suggested but no sign of a leak. I should have said it has an alloy rad.

My next move will probably be to get it on a ramp when it's really hot and running and have a good look around.

Could it be the head gasket allowing coolant into a cylinder without contaminating the oil?

I should have mentioned that it has the brass T piece and silicone hoses which all seem good. A couple of people have suggested the expansion bottle cap as a possible culprit and I'm wondering if there is a way of telling if this is the case? It looks ok and there is no sign of streaks down the sides of the bottle although the horns underneath it are quite rusty!

The head gaskets are generally reliable on this engine. There are two plastic water hose connections/ housings, one on the LHS of the cylinder block and one on the rear of the cylinder head (thermostat Hsg.) both have a rubber O ring seal to  the aluminium face. There have been (rare) failures of the O ring groove in the plastic due to poor quality moulding (Ford part). The one at the back of the head is well out of sight. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Most of the time a google numbers off the part finds you all you need to know.    For example you can just see 8h22-8101-aa on the cap on the Caterham Parts site (not for CSR).   That leads to 

FORD : 1W138101AA
FORD : 8H228101AA
LAND ROVER : PCD000090
LAND ROVER : PCD500030