Click here if you are having website access problems ×

VHPD SL-R

Nick Bassett

Yes, agree. 190 is'nt that extreme - it was when they came out, but then came the R500 and then the 2 litre R500 Evo, so the engine was progressively taken further. Its all well understood now. The only thing Id suggest aside from the usual service history and general condition, is getting the dry sump scavenge pump rebuilt if its not done - it about £100 from Titan Motorsport.

If its in good condition, these will only go up in value. Id love one, but it would mean a tearful split from my current one!

• Area Representative
I have a VHPD in my 21. It came out of an Exige and received the necessary changes to fit a Caterham. This included using an Emerald ECU rather than the Lotus one. Mapping was done by Dave Walker at Emerald.

If you look at the early reports on VHPD engined cars, they usually comment on the unevenness of the low rev performance. This is my experience. At high revs/high speed, the engine is great. In traffic, in towns and low speed work (such as going up a steep hill in a 30 zone, especially if you need to slow to 20 to get over a speed hump), it isn't nice at all.

I may take mine to the two Steves for a remap.

I have SLR 118 built in 2002. Had it now for 10 years without any engine issues. The engine has not been modified in any way or rebuilt at any time. Only having changed the ecu to Emerald. It's now done about 38,000 miles. 

I don't think the K engine is a worry. Some people just don't seem to like them probably because of the early issues.

It is also a wet sump. Dry sump was an option i believe. 

I think early issues were something to do with the use of plastic dowels instead of steal ones which allowed the head to move.

I've done 14k track miles in my K-series, which is around 205BHP.

As the engine was intended to be a temporarely installed unit, it is not dry sumped and on hydraulic lifters.

Apart from a cooling issue when I stop, it has had no problems I would not expect. One stock valve spring cap gave up a while ago, but this is expected for the stock caps - again temp engine...

HGF is expected if you hoon it when it's cold. Been there, done that. But I won over the 455GTS that challenged me *blah*

Be good and it'll serve you well. Change oil often. I do it for every trackday. This pays: when I open the engine it looks like new.