Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Track rod ends

rockinroyston

Had my 1000 mile bolt check completed & everything was fine apart from the tracking which they adjusted & there was a noticeable improvement (ive only done 400 miles in it lol the project manager had completed the other 600...).

Had a quick look at the front suspension when I got back & one trakrod end has a lot of thread showing & the other one has none? Can this be right? I would have thought they would be identical? I know they started off as identical when I put it together as I had to take the suspension apart to do this...

https://www.lotus7.club/blogs/return-front-suspension

I'm not sure how to add a photo to this query so I'll put two up on my blogg

/sites/default/files/images/users/39634/xlarge_2017-09-16%2008.51.01.jpg

That's not the track rod end but rather the top wishbone ball joint. It adjusts the camber of the front suspension and possibly could end up different if the chassis isn't exactly equal side to side. I would expect them to be more even but I would ask what camber it's been set to. 

yes I set it to 8 threads & it came back looking like this (which I hadn't clocked until they mentioned the tracking was out when they did the 1000 mile bolt check. I'll take a measure from the centre of the rod to the locknut. I've no idea what the camber actually is as it was done by Caterham South behind closed doors.

& sorry I meant wishbone ball joint, a picture paints a thousand words as Telly Savalas would say. I've also dropped Derek an e-mail to see what he thinks..

Well took a measure to it & looks like panic over... as suggested by Elie Boone i measured the distance between the Centre & the nut & they are both the same. Visually it looks different so I did it a couple of times (just because it still didn't look the same lol) with the same result! very bizarre & makes a bit of a mockery of the 8 turns on the thread guidance if the threads don't match on both sides.... Caterham must have disconnected & wound them inout as I cant see any other way they could have done it. Wasn't mentioned when it went for its post build check up.... I do recall it hardly managed it up the ramp when they picked it up for its PBC & had no sense of direction... I assumed it was just the tracking... must have been everything....

Whilst it's not over critical for road use, both wheels should be the same and with a spec of 1 degree 20 minutes negative camber that is pretty fine. Your photos imply it may be worth a bit of a cross check. It could just be chassis symmetry is needing to be accommodated at the ball joints.

Check and adjust tyre pressure. Find a flat space - center the steering wheel, put a carpenter's square next to the wheel and measure the distance from the rim to the square at top and bottom. If the difference is the same at both sides then camber is likely to be right.

I would then start to investigate what is not straight though.