Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Castro Valvemaster ( Xflow owners)

Just acquired an old Triumph (Vitesse) an there's a view in that community that on old engines, you don't really need an additive. Years of use mean the valve seats naturaly harden (as I understand it). Another sufggestion was to use Redex.

However, I'm not an engineer so please shoot this down in flames those who are!

Andy

I hadn't heard that Valvemaster was a thing of the past...

When these additives first came into common usage, the general wisdom seemed to be that most of them did a decent job, but as they were all based on slightly different chemistry one should pick one and stick to it.

Does anyone know if, for example, Miller's has the same basis as the Castrol?

Interesting thoughts, Andy.

I think the argument that the seats harden is spurious, as the surface hardness gets worn away regardless (otherwise there would never be a problem). On the other hand, valve seat recession just doesn't seem to be so bad on engines that only do a few thousand miles a year that you can probably get away without an additive for quite a few years.

You could go with the real deal, tetra ethyl lead. http://www.tetraboost.com

The different brands are based on different chemistries. http://www.fbhvc.co.uk/legislation-and-fuels/fuel-information/

I've been using Castrol Valvemaster Plus in my classic Mini, it was a toss up between that and Millers VSPE. I liked the bottle on the Castrol with its built in dispenser more though! Am tempted to buy a good few bottles now if I can before it's sold out. 

Thanks to all - I was rummaging around in the last few unpacked boxes since my house and found 2 full bottles which is something but I think I'll switch to Millers ( agree about the bottle though !!).

Interestingly I emailed the additives guys at Castro asking for more info....they received and read it, but have so far failed to respond - if they do I'll post it.

• 1 month later...

Two months on from the last post on this subject and most outlets are now showing Castrol Valvemaster as Out of Stock, or alternatively being offered at silly prices (over £40 a bottle on Amazon FFS *rolleyes* ).

But it is still available for a reasonable price at A-Head 4 Healeys (www.ahead4healeys.co.uk), although i suspect not for long.  I've just stocked up at £13 a bottle for the 'Plus' version, which also contains an Octane booster.  I should now have enough to last until I fit that unleaded head that's been gathering dust on the shelf for a while now . . . 

I don't think any of the other products available are phosphorous based or as concentrated as Castrol Valvemaster - one 250ml bottle treats 55 gallons, which is enough for over 1300 miles even in a thirsty crossflow.  Some alternative products are not much cheaper and only treat one tank of fuel *yikes* .  And then there's the issue of building up a protective layer of the alternative element all over again, although I'll be the first to admit that I'm no Chemist.

If you haven't already stocked up i suggest you do so now.

Crudders