Click here if you are having website access problems ×

X-Flow speedo cable replacement

Namtip

It snapped at the speedo end.  I don't think it was screwed in properly as the collet was loose.

Anyway - the gearbox end looks impossible to get at!  Do I have to remove panelling?  Don't really want to do that...

Any tips/gotchas?  Is it doable by myself?  Any special tools needed?

Which gearbox?

There's a lot on this in the archives. You can replace it without removing anything: slackening off the engine and gearbox mounts can give a bit more clearance but I don't think it's essential. Circlip pliers needed to remove and refit the right-angled drive. There's a trick to angling the thingy to get the thread to tighten.

I've seen it suggested that a better drive is available from Burton Power, possibly this, but no personal experience of it.

Jonathan

PS: IMHO it's a weird assembly and worth understanding before you start. 

Hi

I cut a hole in the side of my tunnel which allows me access to the right angle drive. If you are not happy about this then it is probably engine and gearbox out as my hands would be too big to go down the side even with moutings slackened off .

You dont need need to remove circlip as the speedo cable just screws onto end of right angle drive just like the speedo.

Nick

It's not easy but possible to disconnect the speedo cable from the angle drive. Beware that the tread on the angle drive changed at some point. An option is to have a new inner cable made up. If it's a 4 speed that it's a lot harder to get to the speedo cable on the gearbox, this also depending if you have a close tunnel or not.