Click here if you are having website access problems ×

What could be causing these high emissions?

chris whitlow

My car, a 1997 1.6 K Series Supersport, failed it's MOT on emissions yesterday.

I'm not unduly concerned about the MOT fail as it should be a visual smoke test only so, as there isn't any, I'll go back and educate them later.

What does concern me is the emissions being so far away from the target. Is this a sign that the lambda sensor has failed, or that something else is amiss, or is it what you'd expect from a car of this age without a cat?

1202.JPG.0c774489e293d09f31b97b011e8a2162.JPG

Thanks for the quick reply!

I don't know for certain that the oil was up to full temperature but apparently the water was.

The ECU is the Caterham Supersport one.

The exhaust did have leaks in the system but I've just had all the cracks welded up, could that  be causing some confusion somewhere?

Air getting in to the exhaust system could confuse the lambda sensor .... as it tells the ecu to increase fuelling. But if all leaks now sorted (before the MOT ?) .... shouldn't affect it now. Is exhaust manifold gasket air tight ?

Jonathan,

I think it's running well, others may think differently, it's not coughing and spluttering or miss firing and there are no overheating issues.

I don't think I've got data from previous tests, I'll have a look, but was told last year that it only just passed.

I'd follow Ian's lines:

1. Is there a leak in the exhaust system, starting with the new welds and then where it was reconnected?
  2. The oxygen sensor and connections. Check connections and then try another one? Is there a cheaper diagnostic route? (I've seen suggestions of disconnecting it and seeing what happens, but I think that was for poor running rather than your problem.)

Jonathan

You really must have the oil up to normal running temperature to be able to check anything on an engine ... be it compression or emissions. Ideally you want it at 70-80C ..... so a good fast run for half an hour before .... not just pottering on busy roads.

It looks like your car has been tested under the Basic Emissions Test rules ("Non-cat test for Vehicles first used on or after 1 August 1975").  One of the stipulations is:

Ensure that the engine is hot by checking for example - temperature gauge, cooling fan cut-in or hot coolant hoses. If the engine is not at normal temperature raise the engine speed to between 2000 and 3000rpm and maintain this speed until normal temperature has been reached.

... it should be a visual smoke test only...

I think that depends on whether the car is "amateur-built" or "factory-built".

What is the 6th character of your VIN?

JV

The "C" indicates "Complete Knock Down", so your 1997 car is " a visual smoke test only".  (There is no "G" code.)

The DVSA In service exhaust emission standards for road vehicles (18th Edition) states (page 19):

CATERHAM CARS
The VIN Code consists of the 6th, 8th and 9th digit of the VIN number. Where the 10th digit of the VIN is equal to or
less than 'W' and the 6th digit is 'C' or 'K', the vehicle concerned should be considered as 'amateur built' and as such
should receive a visual smoke test only.

I guess your 10th character is "V" (for 1997)?

JV