Click here if you are having website access problems ×

2009 Sigma 150 Exhaust Weld Failure

Scotland North AR

Hi, just returned from a 2,500 mile trip to Spain after the 60th meeting, washed the car and found the exhaust weld had cracked on the front of the silencer. The weld must have cracked and propagated out to the end plate in a couple of places. Not sure what would have happened if it had completely failed as the tube doesn't seem to go far into the silencer

I live near Aberdeen so shouldn't have an issue getting a welder to weld it up.

Anyone know who makes these silencers?

Anyone know what grade of stainless it is so the right consumables can be used?

Anything I should be aware of before just getting it welded?

IMG_4288.JPG.a8ed588d0687e586dfc88aba6314727d.JPG

IMG_4285.JPG.ae9719be1affdcb673c85b294655d2c2.JPG

Cheesmans in Woking are the manufacturers. I had a repackable made by Simpsons in Slough which is a fair bit quieter than the standard box. I should think Cheesmans would tell you anything specific re the materials used but when I've had to get their stuff welded just standard stainless welding rod does the job.

Cheers, Steve

Thanks for that, spoke to Paul at Cheesmans (01252 516180), very helpful. He said that the parent metal was 304 stainless and advised 308L stainless welding wire be used for the repair.

Exhaust now with local agricultural workshop so I'm expecting a 25mm fillet weld all round and 4 pieces of 3" angle iron along it to brace it up.

If I get any other feedback from Cheesmans I'll post it to complete the story.

Had this on my original CC exhaust as the system is unsupported from the manifold to the rear bobbin mount. Added support bracket and found/used the centre mount to support the middle of the system. When the exhaust was welded up, the welder also added another disc at the front of the silencer to effectively make it double skinned.