Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Spec-ing a new 620R

Superwhite R283

Spare pants ! 

Is it a road or track special! I am not sure the sequential is the ideal road gearbox . Is it worth looking at the S and choosing the best of The R pack? 

I would think Caterham would be flexible if you are spending that much 

From what I have heard [no personal experience] de-specing the suspension down to normal R spec might be worth considering. If it were me, I might even ask if I could give them some Quantums to fit. Unlikely to agree to that one though. Alternatively, just change them when you get the car. 

Julian

Get your friend to send me a blatmail with his email and he can join our 620 owners page on Facebook. We have an active community of 620r and 620s owners who can all offer advice on spec.

as mark has said before, my suggestion would also be lowered floors, and the fia roll bar.

i would also recommend having the full weather equipment with interchangeable aeroscreen too, which gives the best of both worlds for all weather conditions.

Also agree on the race spec dampers, they are very stiff for road use, but they can easily be changed for a better choice after the car has been delivered. 

Finally some paint protection film for trackdays is a must too, mine has it, but after 11 trackdays in 5 months, it has lot of chips in the paint guard film, thankfully not in the paint itself! 

Yep good call on the shift lights too, I wouldn't be without mine for track work.

As for as paint protection film is concerned , he can use any company. I chose to use Premier Paint Guard, and Dave fitted the film at the Bookatrack workshop.

If he's not on face book, can't invite him to the group! Sorry! 

Just looking at the S vs R, if you add some of the options to the S like 13" wheels, black pack, carbon seats and then take off the 1k you save as you don't need to add window/doors that leaves the cost extra for the R at 3600 ish, from what i can see you get for that is the 6 speed sequential, race suspension the aerofoil wishbones. Assuming Ive added it up correctly.

Why an FIA roll bar ? Colin Chapman saying Add Lightness CC latest standard roll bar is fitted to the 620 S/R and used by them to take members of the public on power runs ! Why add weight to comply with out dated club track day rules ! . If the car is not going to be used for club track days don't waste your money , go to Bookatrack or any independent track day. 

Blue nose why can't you believe my comment  ? An FIA roll bar with a petty strut will be better than a standard roll bar but it's not an requirement for club track days ! The newer CC roll bar is drawn steel and a larger tube than the FIA  . In my opinion the FIA bar leans forward and many drivers complain about hitting their head on it and without a petty strut holding it the chance of collapse could be greater !  . What evidence do you have that the FIA bar is safer ?. Apart from hearsay ?. IMHO.

nickh7 Who are you the Lemmings police it's not just my opinion !,  if the club can prove the newer bar is not safe I will be at the front of the que to buy  a FIA bar . I'm told the FIA bar won't pass the IVA test due to restrictive rear view that's why IVA tests are always done with standard bars !. 

We all have opinions don't tell me ( Give it a rest ) without your opinion to substantiate your position. 

You have a thread for that topic and I'd like to see it  kept  there , you are perfectly entitled to you view but please keep it on the thread .  I'd like to see this thread for ideas for making a 620r even more expensive .  

Thanks everyone, list so far:

Lowered floors, Track day roll bar, Full windscreen, hood and side screens, Half hood, Paint options, On the road pack, Full paint protection (not on options list)

Is that list unique to spec'ing a 620 as opposed to any 7?  *scratchchin*

Good Point JK, yes a 12v power socket is a well needed item.

Ans yes they are standard on both the 620S and 620R from the factory.

I always seem to have loads of devices that need power or charging cables so I also have another socket and USB ports on my rear bulkhead by the top of the passenger seat too.

The options you choose really depend on your overall budget and personal preference.

I went nuts on mine and ticked just about everything except the shift lights and painted grille.

You can also ask for the LED lights which adds another £800 (this includes rear bulbs too)

half doors £300, tonneau £250, heater £300, fire extinguisher £295, battery switch £185

Then there is the £750 for pearlescent paint, £295 for decal pack

Probably want to consider a half hood and shower cap too plus another set of wheels and tyres so you can use the ZZR's on track and have ZZS's on the road.

PPG paintguard adds up to about £575 if you have all of it.