Click here if you are having website access problems ×

A question about ratchet handles

Golf Juliet Tango

• Area Representative

At the 60th meeting (probably en-route to it), on my 21 the adjustment strap for the alternator and belt broke.

Firstly HUGE, MEGA thanks to the ever-helpful Paul Richards and the immensely generous Roger Needham, we fixed this on Sunday afternoon, once the attendees had gone home.

Considering there is an undertray and apollo tank hoses in the way, there is very little room to swing a handle, so I wondered if it might be worth getting a ratchet handle which also has a twist-the-handle function.

Does anyone have experience of these devices? Your opinions would be helpful.

• Area Representative

Hi  Stephen

They are useful but in limited circumstances. Obviously useful for finger tightening in a confined space but  not sure if you could overcome the resistance of a new nylock nut. Obviously you still need to tighten in a conventional manner. I think for your job I could probably use my trusty long extension(s) and a universal joint with my socket. Ive used a fancy ratchet that you describe. I don't own one, but guess if I did I'd probably find uses for it but would it be enough to justify the purchase? I'm not sure. 

Pleased to hear you sorted this and got home safely.

re: 'twist-the-handle' ratchets...

I have the Facom version (I think they call it ‘Rotator’ or some such - now available with another brand name - I think F sourced it elsewhere); it's somewhat better than the ‘gimmick’ status that some imagine.

I found it useful for a few awkward-to-access Seven tasks.

Plus points for the Facom type: smooth ratchet; handle is very fat, so you can apply a reasonable effort to the twist action, but obviously not as much a long ratchet or breaker bar; twisting the handle back again is not just a 'recovery' action - for whichever direction you’re set in, twisting the handle both ways continues to turn the head the same way so it’s really fast once the fastener is loosened a bit which is great when you’re working in an awkward position; works reasonably well as a regular ratchet too; sockets lock on.

Minus points: it’s not very long so not perfect for all situations and not really for breaking free really tight fasteners (but better than I expected - the fat handle helps because the effort is applied a little way from the centreline of the mechanism). The head is fairly bulky (compared to, say, the very compact Facom ‘palm control’ ratchets - but not much more so than a Snap-on style pear-shaped head).

I’m not best placed to comment on v.f.m… (I had a bunch of stuff in part-payment for a job for a tool merchant).

In some situations the longer, cheaper type with a ’T’ handle at the end may work better, but their quality is usually pretty poor, and I don’t know how much more effort you can apply with them. I tried on once and found it rather clumsy.

If you’re not in a hurry to buy, you can borrow mine to experiment with.

• Area Representative
Kind offer Tony.

I realise that for final nip or initial release, one would have to use the conventional action but wondered if in difficult-to-reach areas it might have a worthwhile role.

I like the idea that back-&-forth still gets the correct rotation at the business end.

• 3 weeks later...

If you have a compressor you could consider an air ratchet wrench. I have a universal air tools 3/8  drive reactionles one and it is perfect for limited access work as it doesn't kick too hard as the nut tightens. I also have a no brand stubby one for really hard to reach places.

Without seeing the sort of access and space you have its difficult to advise or know exactly what you're looking for. People have spoken about extensions and universal sockets. All have there place and day.

Not seen mentioned here ring ratchets. You'll get these in straight format or with off set / bent ends. Ideal for confined spaces provided you have the swing radially. Reasonable quality for the home workshop use is the Halfords pro range. Nice fine ratchets on these unlike some of the cheap crap you get from the far east.

Another thought is the clutch ratchet. I've had one from Britool tools for years. Although i call it a ratchet strictly speaking it isn't. What you have here is a clutch. It will bite and turn with the smallest of movements. You're not relying on finding the next tooth of a normal run of the mill ratchet gear if that makes sense.

Working in the aviation industry i have found this tool has saved the day on more than one occasion. *smile*

The one I have is a 1/4" drive and very short in length. Not sure exactly how long but lets just say its a lot shorter than a standard 1/4" drive Snapon ratchet i use. If you are looking for something that will shift particularly tight bolts or nuts then you'll have to think again to gain the advantage.

• Area Representative

Thank you all for your contributions.

Jonathan: No I don't think so;I have a palm drive which I have used in different circumstances and it gives great feel and is balanced (in my other conditions it would be even better if it had a cruciform head and you could get a decent torque on the nut/bolt).

Molecular Bob: My needs are more modest, nor do I have a compressor but thank you for the idea.  Mostly I find I am fixing things away from the garage.

Gordon C: I have bought two or three of these https://shop.flints.co.uk/Product-Details/All/PODQUAD?proddesc=Quad-Spanner&category=pg_Quad_Spanners&catdesc=Quad-Spanners which are very useful if you are carrying your tools with you. Sadly popular with others with whom you work.  The clutch drive is a good idea, making full use of every degree of arc.

Tweeky: Yes a flexible handle might gain me some additional swing, sometimes you certainly feel the need for your ratchet handle to be at 100 or 80 degrees to the bolt. 

The two circumstances I have encountered where a rotator handle would unquestionably be useful are both on the K Series, tensioning the alternator and replacing the starter motor.

Sadly popular with others with whom you work.

!!!

We've just built and unbuilt a stage. Vast number of bolts and nuts to hold the sections together. For some reason I always end up underneath. And they only had two adjustable non-ratchet wenches! 

So for the unbuilding I took my collection with the most intensive labelling I could manage.

And I've just recommended that they splash out on several sets of something faster.

Jonathan

PS: That's also the sort of ratchet wench that avoids the Great 7 Gearbox Oil Fiasco...