Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Retaining Channels misfit

fatal3rror

Hi

Now that I have a Brooklands screen, to avoid having to remove the knee trims everytime, I got a pair of retaining channels from KitCarDirect (http://www.kitcardirect.co.uk/caterham-s3-easy-swap-retaining-channel.html) as the ones on Caterham store were out of order.

When I fit them over the weekend, the captive nuts do not align with the existing scuttle holes. KCD has suggested it might be an issue with the holes being drilled in the wrong place and filing the scuttle hole so that they do align. 

I would like to avoid messing around with the scuttle holes if avoidable. The other concern is that the windscreen and Brooklands stanchion will not fit properly even if I do manage to get the holes aligned as they seem to fit perfectly fine as-is.

Anyone else run into similar issues? Would appreciate any advice!

Offside Inside:

large_Driverside_inside.jpg.4d05deeb7cf6484c79cccede53e91517.jpg

Offside Outside:

large_Driverside_outside.jpg.220bca3385b36c59ee36ae5e27bac2d0.jpg

Nearside Inside:

large_Nearside_inside.jpg.c19bd47096c4efaf7ece138fad78416b.jpg

Nearside Outside:

large_Nearside_outside.jpg.5b9cc6d5e9a6cb2c1936f46b8053cc55.jpg

• 5 weeks later...

The Caterham ones were too low for the holes on my metric Seven. I made aluminium shims the full length of the channel to ensure even pressure clamping down the scuttle sides. Afterwards, I noticed they were available from Caterham.

Definitely don't file the holes in the scuttle. If the distance between the holes is wrong, I would send them back and wait for Caterham ones.

Hi

Sorry you're having problems.  Sounds like the channels are a bit out as your screen stanchions fitted the scuttle fine.  Plus the Brooklands stanchion fitted both my cars.  

To use the channels you bought would seem to require you elongate holes in the scuttle and stanchions which is bit unreasonable.

Think you need the genuine Caterham channels.

Best of luck

Keith

Thanks Keith, I have been enjoying the Brooklands which have fitted fine without the retaining channels.

As you say, it seems the problem is with the retaining channels. I am not prepared to make the holes any bigger than they are already, so I probably do need to get the original ones.