Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Engine coolant

perrett

Morning, Mark.

I use premixed Comma XStream G30.

Usual warning: ethylene glycol is poisonous. Please think about what you do with the old stuff and how you store the residual new stuff.

Jonathan

PS: Cue discussion of:

1. Premixed or DIY and which bits of the ice in the 'frig are usable.
  2. Modern coolants and silicone hoses.
  3. Evans Waterless Coolant.
  4. Why we should have technical wikis...

I looked at the Comma website, and there are various grades of coolant in the range. I just couldn't work out whether to choose G30 over G40 etc. Thanks for your help. I think I'll go with G30 pre-mix.

Thanks again

Mark

• 2 weeks later...

Comma recommend G48 for the s1 elise (k series ) and G30 for other k series engined cars. After speaking to Comma G48 seemed to be the safest default product for the k series. I think the bottom line is .....use what you like, as long as its a decent quality product. Over a period of 5 years i've used both of the Comma products in my elise without any ill effects....so far. I'm just about to change the coolant and will be using Comma G48.

Comma recommend G48 for the s1 elise (k series ) and G30 for other k series engined cars.

Never heard that before... do they give any reason?

I'd emphasise the need to replace the inhibitors at an appropriate frequency, and of course that means the entire coolant.

Jonathan

• 2 weeks later...

on topic: In my 7 I have for many/some years used the Audi/VW G12/13plus whatever it is now, because I liked the "package" when I researched it. 

Premixed or DIY

I use both, depending on I forget what.

and which bits of the ice in the 'frig are usable.

No idea.

Modern coolants and silicone hoses.

No idea, I use both.

Evans Waterless Coolant (EWC)

I installed this in my Mondeo some months ago as a test.

- It runs a tiny tiny bit hotter per the temp guage (I see this as not a bad thing). 

- making sure all the old coolant was removed was a fail and had to be done all over again (so double cost). Also acquiring the test tool took some time and never sure I am using/reading it correctly.

- top ups are no longer trivial because I am required to be carrying Evans Waterless: this is THE reason I have not installed it in my 7. Despite the fact that I carry spare (G12/13etc )coolant and have never had to use much of it.... 

- setting a saucer of Evans Waterless on fire (by leaving a burning match in it) gave me pause...

I desire the benefits of EWC, but.... perhaps lack of bottle so far. 

One is permitted to add water in dire emergency, but then all must be replaced and it's not cheap stuff and not easy to source (I am usually overseas).

In my 7 I have for many/some years used the Audi/VW G12/13plus whatever it is now, because I liked the "package" when I researched it. 

Why we should have technical wikis...

Not destroying the old techtalk would have been a sensible thing (all old posts have all formatting and links trashed). I gather it still exists, but the resource to keep it online is the issue. 

Anthony

• 2 months later...