Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Banner battery question

Bottrill

Morning, All

I will hang my head in shame and firstly admit the caterham has been sat on its trickle/maintenance charger for around 7 weeks due to other commitments recently. On first attempt at starting the battery seem to lose cranking power pretty quickly. On connecting a multimeter I had a static 12.7v. On cranking it instantly dropped to 7 down to 5. 

Are these serviceable if the acid levels have dropped (difficult to tell with the black casing) or is it new battery time? Haven't a clue how old it is to be fair.

Lee

Hard to judge until you've topped it up. I don't think there's any other service that's worth doing, but some recommend clever pills.

Is that a smart conditioning charger eg a CTEK?

How old is the battery?

7 V on cranking is far too low once you know it's topped up and correctly charged.

Jonathan

I agree about Tayna - recently bought one for another car - great service, good value and they seem good.

That aside, the most practical modification I've ever made to my Seven (to several in fact) is to fit a battery master switch to isolate the battery completely - got fed up with buying a new Banner or equivalent every year just because of the immobiliser light and other drains on the battery.  I've always just gone for the cheap and nasty master switches (~£5.00) rather than the FIA ones - my understanding is that as long as you turn the engine off in the normal way via the ignition an FIA version is not necessary.

Powervamps were going for about £45 a few years ago but seem to have doubled in price since then - I would still highly recommend them though.

FWIW ...

But apart from that, how did you enjoy the play Mrs <strike>Washington</strike> <b>Lincoln</b>...?!

D'oh - mortified with shame and embarrassment - plead mitigation and off to buy smaller wine glasses ...

Another thumbs up for Tayna. Used them twice and the more recent was even a little cheaper than the first.

Although the Banner casing is black you should be able to unscrew the caps with a large flat blade screwdriver and see if the plates are covered. Unlikely that fluid level is low unless cooked or spilled. If it is low through cooking you might be lucky with a distilled water top-up and charge but I doubt it.

A bit of garage time today so taken the banner battery off. It is scribed with 11/03 on the top. The cells look completely dry inside. There is a receipt for a new battery in 2007 but that isn't to say that it could obviously be newer. I have given all the connectors a good clean as they looked like they hadn't been off for a while and seemed corroded.

Is there a club discount for Tayna by any chance? I will get one ordered tomorrow.

Thanks

Lee

• 2 weeks later...

New banner battery fitted and took the opportunity to clean the earths and cables onto the terminals. A much happier k series R300 when cranked over. 

Another thumbs up for Tayna batteries. They also gave 10% discount when I signed up to their newsletter. Happy days.

Lee