Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Hose for remote mounting of Oil Pressure Sender

AndrewE

A few questions to those that have successfully remote mounted the infamous electrical oil pressure sender for a K series.....

What hose did you use to allow remote mounting, where did you get it fro and where/how did you mount the sender?

TIA

I'd like to fit a warning light although tbh I think one may be fitted already (I have a red light between speedo and rev counter above the blue main beam light - though that could be an alternator warning light)

Andrew

Dave, 

I thought about that - not sure if it is too low down and in a perilous area

hose kit comes with a P clip for the T piece which could mount where the horn is otherwise its a new hole somewhere unless I can spot another mounting point on the square chassis tube

Im off to do some trial fitting

OK,

so mounted it near steering rack using rubber lined p clip. before final routing of hoses I ran the engine - 0 shown on guage, so i piggybacked a wire from the now remote sender connection to the chassis (to earth it) and now guage shows 8 bar / maximum

any ideas?

Andrew

Cheers Jomathan

Just for my sanity I tried new sender in normal non-remote position - 4 bar shown on gauge - :-)

In answer to your questions

1. I'm chilled just a bit frustrated thought it would be plug and play!

2. OK I assume the earthing happens back through the fT piece and flex hose to filter housing to block

3. 1 terminal on sender - all I did was connect a short fly lead between existing sender connector on loom to new sender connector in remote positions (about 6" of wire)

4. Yes so would be good to know where to check and what I should see

Oil is definitely getting to the sender at the new remote position just not sure if its at any pressure

New sender in standard position at the moment

Andrew

There seem to be three differences between the arrangements:

1. The filling of the hose.
  2. The new explicit earth.
  3. The extension of the wire to the loom/ gauge.

Respectively for 1 and 2:

Are you supposed to fill the hose with oil, and did you?

I think that full scale means "low resistance at the sender" but I'm not sure that it's that way round. If it's showing that regardless of the true pressure that suggests that the new earth wire is bypassing the sender and inappropriately contacting the other wire that goes to the loom/ gauge. 

Jonathan

PS: What I'd actually do is disconnect everything and measure the resistance across the sender directly.

I did mount it on the spare horn post bolt (I took the passenger side horn off) but I am guessing using a rubber sleeved P clip will not provide an earth. I may try with a metal only P clip tomorrow

I'll have another look at some other options as well

keep the ideas coming!