Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Alternator Woes - Switch Back to Standard?

RyCliff

Afternoon All,

I was out in the car last weekend and an awful grinding noise started emanating from the alternator. Having removed it there seems to be quite a bit of axial play at the pulley (1-2mm), it spins freely when pulled from the alternator body but grinds any other time. The alternator is a Brise unit, similar in appearance to the 5020 model on their website.

I've now taken it apart and one of the brushes is shot as the rubber they are house in is baked. Think there may have been some overheating...

Anyway, this has led to me wanting to replace with an original alternator as I do not track the car so can't see much benefit in having it. There are 2 questions from here though, first is are there any major mounting modifications I will need to make for this? Second, the car has a Cheesman 4-2-1 exhaust fitted as well as a tall tower that appears to be for engine oil (not sure of purpose) in the area of the alternator. Will post a picture later, but if anyone has similar mods could they advise if space is an issue for a regulator alternator.

Sorry for the long post.

Thanks

Ryan

...as well as a tall tower that appears to be for engine oil (not sure of purpose) in the area of the alternator.

That sounds like an Apollo oil/air separator.  Does it look like this?

Can't help with the alt, I'm afraid, except to say that I'd be surprised if the standard item didn't fit.

JV

Yep, definitely an Apollo air separator I have in there then. Not sure it will encroach itself on the area the alternator would sit in but there are some additional bits of kit around it that would make it tight to fit without breaking many fingers.

I had issues with it last year and the bearings, brushes etc were all changed, not sure I want to go through the trouble of doing it again. Spotted that a Brise replacement is £240 ish, before their delivery fee which was quite expensive last year when I got the internals.

May have to bite the bullet and replace with new, I already think I have someone interested in buying this burnt out one I have.

I'd ring Brise for a cost to rebuild it.  Usually Brise are Considered an upgrade due to weight & quality. The older alternators for the earlier K series are heavy things.  

Ps you'll also need to change the plug for the alternator as they are different to the OEM one for our engines. 

Going to give Tim at Brise a call on Monday to discuss what options I have with them.

By plug do you mean the ignition and live points? At the moment I just have a couple of spade connectors in there rather than the Brise plug.

Unfortunately looks to be a different mount on that one. Found a similar one elsewhere though, which will check with Brise to see if it's Caterham suitable.

On a side, I've found out what the cause of the failure was. A nut I found on my drive turned out to be the pulley lock nut!