Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Crash Helmets for Trackdays - Silverstone 27th March

SKC

Hi All,

Having read the final instructions for the L7C track day at Silverstone on the 27th March, I'm a bit concerned about the rules regarding crash helmets.  The orgainsers SLG (Silverstone Circuits Group) are stipulating that all helmets worn on track must be road legal to BS6658A or BS6658AFR or comply with comply with Snell 2005, 2010 and 2015 ratings or as otherwise specified in the MSA blue book.

Does this mean that a lot of bike helmets aren't suitable for this event and have we got to spend in the region of £370.00 for a Bell Sport 5 helmet that is classified as a motorsport approved helmet.

Has anyone else noticed this?

SKC*byebye*

Just to add extra complication ,most snell race helmets are'nt road legal.  My new arai gp6 specifically states on the rear not approved for road use on motorcycles.

I've never seen a helmet checked on a track day.  Dont most motor bike helmets conform to one of the BS specs quoted?

One issue with motorcycle helmet standards is that they are not designed for impact with a narrow solid object such as a roll bar. The Snell standards are broken down into two branches - "M" and "SA". M2005/2010/2015 standards are designed for motorcycle use, SA2005/2010/2015 is designed for car use where impact is most likely with roll bars. My local track here in Canada allow motorcycle helmets for use in cars without roll bars or cages, but require SA or equivalent helmets for cars with roll bars or cages and require roll-over protection for convertibles, which pretty well restricts motorcycle helmet use to tintops only. 

• Leadership Team

Having only bought my first 7 last year, and having only just tried track days, I did wonder if my old brains bucket would qualify.  I've only done a couple of track days, but checked with the organisers would be OK with it.  Both organisers allowed me to use it, though they did suggest that it might be prudent to get a new one.

I bought this brains bucket after a previous car fell over and spoiled the paintwork, so this one hasn't had any dings.  The scrutineer's sticker, however, shows that the last time it was checked was in 1978!  Please don't tell anyone!

AFAIK you can't tell if the foam layer is still capable of doing its job by inspection or nondestructive testing.  The manufacturers and retailers are clearly at risk of bias in their recommendations, but replacement at 5y or 7y are the upper limits I've seen. And that's apart from improvements in design.

Because you're worth it.

Jonathan

• Leadership Team

I'm quite sure you, and the track day organisers, are entirely right.  I really ought to get it replaced.  It was absolutely state of the art when it was newly acquired.  But there again, so was I!

As to whether or not I'm worth it, would you mind trying to convince The Boss about that.  After nearly forty years of marriage, I'm not at all sure she still believes it.

It's to do with overtaking. It's a no brainer. The least time spent on the other side of the road the safer. In this day and age of downsizing and efficiency, and the majority of road car users going about their daily business trying to achieve 70mpg, it's more dangerous than ever, as many more overtakes are required. The absolute legal minimum power in a Caterham is 300bhp, and this is still less than half of the power output of super cars. It's only just enough to keep up with the flow.