Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Throttle pedal options

Jig

The car isn't finished yet, so I haven't actually driven it so far, but I cannot see how I could heel and toe with the funny little throttle pedal which seems to sit too high (and too far up the footwell) relative to the brake pedal. I quite fancy a floor mounted pedal conversion, but wondered what you all thought and if there are any common mods?

You should be able to adjust the pedals to get them lined up such that the accelerator pedal is beside the brake pedal when braking. This is either done in the pedal box (pedals have 2 or 3 positions) or by adjusting the accelerator pedal by gently bending it.

The heel and toe technique for a 7 is more "toe and toe" in that the ball of your foot is half on the brake pedal and then you use the other half of the ball of your foot to blip the throttle (rather than your heal). 

Hope that makes sense! There are plenty of videos on YouTube that show this in action.

Simon

• Leadership Team

Having developed a decades old habit of H&T with 'normal' pedals, and thus a bit more heel, I just couldn't find the go pedal when I first drove a 7 last year.  Most embarrassing.  Though I'm sure I should try to re-learn with the 7's pedal, I've added an arboreal extension, which I find easier.

I pop riveted a strip of aluminium onto the front of the pedal so it hangs down vertically, and then added a triangulating reinforcement behind it to make it more rigid. I had to check it wasn't too long to make sure the pedal had full travel and hit the stop.

• Leadership Team

I tried the thing with the plastic waste pipe inserted into the inside of the pedal loop, and found it a big improvement (I have a feeling it was 57mm diameter), but still not enough for my old habitual H&T style.  Its well worth trying though, as its cheap, quick and easy.

Yes, I have bent it in order to get the cable adjustment correct. This doesn't change the fact that the head is tiny and too far up the foot well. 

Shouldn't that be the other way round? Adjust the pedal height until it's where you want it, then adjust the cable?

Jonathan