Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Tyres again

john aston

CR 500s on last legs. ZZS seems the obvious tyre but at 140 odd quid  each (15inch wheels) they seem eye wateringly pricey. (50 quid more than  235/18s on daily driver) Only other possible choice seems Toyo R1 -R . Thoughts? Car is R400d  and use is road with some long journeys - sometimes wet....... *driving* 

Supplier recommendations too if you can ?  

Oponeo do R1R's at £65 a corner.

They are 195, 50, 15's but do fit under the front stays just. You might need a 3 or 5mm spacers.

I have found them to be an excellent tyre in both wet and dry, only time the tread blocks squirmed a bit was in 30c in Pyrennes on a lot of hairpins! 

Highly recommended.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

ZZS fitted - feel fine . But God above there's about a millionth of an inch clearance from wing and one might be even just be touching .How do I resolve this - any advice needs to be addressed as if to a clumsy five year old please. I know what needs to be done  but methodology would be helpful. 

Unfortunately John you know the answer !, that's why I've bought time with another set of CR500's 

After speaking to CC I was told I would have to remove the wings from the stays fettle the stays then re-bond the wings !! Lucky I had a spare set of CR500's . Still some thing to look forward to . Lol

Now settled down with ZZS tyres- after some judicious muscle to make the buggers fit under front wings. Very progressive feeling under provocation , better ride (which I'd expect from 50 as against 45 profile ), lighter steering (not expected as tread pattern looks as though there is more rubber on road than CR500) and - bonus- look great . Not so much the pattern , but the profile fills more space in rear arches and , obviously, all the space under front wings .