Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Removing spigot bearing. LADS top tip.

paul richards

• Area Representative

In the past I've tried using grease to hydraulically remove the spigot bearing from the crankshaft with no success. I've then ended up slide hammering, chiselling, prodding and generally "botching" the spigot bearing and shim out.

I can't claim credit for this new method as it was recommended to me by another member of LADS. I've now used this method twice and it works extremely well so I thought I'd share it with you.

It's just the same method as using grease, but instead use very tiny bits of newspaper which have been thoroughly wetted in water. 

Take the tiny paper shreds and drop into a bowl of water and let them soak for a few minutes. Once wet, push the paper into the spigot bearing and then using the end of your clutch alignment tool hammer in the paper. Add more paper if necessary and repeat and voila out pops the bearing. 

Hope this helps.

Englishmaninwales - Ruthin N Wales Offline 

Appropriate sized expanding metal wall fixing, with a slide hammer, apparently works for the needle roller type, but I've never tried it.  The grease method works well on oilite bronze bearings in older Ford crankshafts.

This is pretty much how I've done it in the past (on a BMW M40 engine). Loving the bread/newspaper option though!