Click here if you are having website access problems ×

correct alternator part no for 1990 crossflow

RICHCAT7

I took mine to a place in Elstree for diagnosis. It was replaced by a Capri part as the Caterham number didn't count me up on their files., with some ancillary shifted over in about 10mins. 

At the same time, do think about adding a cap/cover to the wires to fit into the clip, keeps damp and rain out I've found.

Unit Exchange http://Unit Exchange 168 Aycliffe Rd, Borehamwood WD6 4EG 020 8953 9971 https://goo.gl/maps/UcME1tTVP7P2

​cost about £80 on exchange I seem to remember. May have been nearer £100

Hi

I replaced mine last summer on my old car. Bit of a saga and a couple of pointers:

It was around the 30 amp mark, you do not need any more (it is only a small battery).

The Lucas one I had is no longer available. I went down the motor factors route and the replacement was too long and was very close to the 4 branch manifold. In the end Redline supplied one that fitted (did need a couple of washers though)

If you are interested I still have the lucas one which you could get refurbished but a couple of weeks lead time.

Hope this helps

Nick

The original supplied with my kit was a Valeo - 45 amp I believe. The last one I bought from Caterham was a magneton 55 amp. When that failed I took it to my local Alternator / Starter Motor repair place and he laughed saying that it was poor quality and unrepairable. He sold me what I believe was one of these: ebay item no. 231167694218.

It is larger than the Valeo and a bit close to the exhaust but seems to have survived for over a year.

Ian

I doubt the differences in absorbed power are measurable. A 45 amp alternator producing full output is chucking out 500W (ish, 2/3 of a BHP), which is obviously fixed. The power wasted in the windings, brushes and the like is going to be less than 0.1 BHP, and I doubt that it varies noticeably between bigger or smaller alternators. Disconnecting the alternator at full throttle does have some merit though.