Click here if you are having website access problems ×

K series water rail gasket

Dixa1225

Hello All,

Had a very slight weep from the water-rail gasket . I have removed the rail and found there is a metal gasket which appears to have paper gaskets either side . The replacement gasket is just a paper gasket . Fitting just this paper gasket causes the rail to leak worse then before *grumpy* . I have fixed the flange end first & slightly spaced out the allen bolt fixing . Anyone else had a  metal gasket here on the waterrail ? 

Thanks in advance 

You'll find a number of articles on this in the archives as there are a few potential issues. I've always used a paper gasket, with blue hylomar, which has been fine (once I sorted the other issues)....

1) The two bolts clamping the gasket can bottom out before they fully pull up the flange - just add an extra washer if this is the case.

2) The water rail can be out of alignment, namely, the forward fixing can be away from the block when the waterway flange is tightened up. Simply pulling up the forward fixing against the block can cause the flange to leak. Check for a gap and add washers as appropriate. (re reading your post I think you've done this)

Regards

Ian

If you are going to use Hylomar Blue on the thick paper gasket as Ian suggests above, make sure you get a genuine Rover / Land Rover gasket. Both I and a friend had problems this year with pattern paper gaskets and Hylomar Blue. When we torqued the flange up, the Hylomar acted like a lubricant and the gasket just sort of squished out of the sides! Genuine gaskets don't seem to do this and using a little silicone instead of Hylomar works too.

Hint: Old Hylomar comes off really easily with Acetone / Nail Polish Remover.

Should be OK just make sure you clean away any old Hylomar and make sure that the flange is sitting flush to the head and the bolts aren't bottoming out (so that they are actually clamping the flange properly) all as per Ian's post and it should seal.

On one new water rail I received from Caterham I found the weld was actually standing slightly proud of the flange sealing surface around the inside of the hole and dressed it out a little with a die grinder. That's worth checking while it is off as it would prevent the flange sitting flat. I also think I've heard of people finding pinhole leaks in the welded joint so the leak comes between the flange and the rail rather than around the gasket. In this case it can be repaired by brazing over the joint to seal it.