Click here if you are having website access problems ×

LED Fog and Reverse Lights fitted.

DJ.

I know I'm not the first person on here to fit replacement fog and reverse lights, but I have just done this and thought I would post some pictures of how it turned out in case anyone is interested.

The first thing to say, it that I didn't drill any holes in my Seven. It is a Metric chassis S3 and I used the original rubber mounts (modified) and mounting screws. The light leads had to be soldered due to lack of space inside the light mount casing.

After much web searching, I found no one makes rectangular lights narrow enough to sit on the original mounting blocks. The closest I could find are 133mm slimline ones from CBS, so for £85 I invested in a pair of those.

http://www.carbuildersolutions.com/uk/led-compact-rear-fog-133mm

http://www.carbuildersolutions.com/uk/led-compact-reverse-lamp-133mm

I also ordered an extra rubber mounting wedge from Caterham

https://caterhamparts.co.uk/fittings/5075-fog-reverse-lamp-wedge-rubber.html

The lights were surprisingly easy to remove as there are rivnuts in the skin and the bolts hadn't seized.

So I needed to make the mounts shorter and wider. Using an extremely sharp knife, I cut two pieces off the ends of the Caterham rubber and bonded them onto the originals. I then carefully cut down the tops and bottoms of the wedges so they were the same size as the base plates, attached the plates with double sided tape and re-drilled the plates to suit the original mounting screws. I had to add all the extra rubber towards the middle of the car, because the alloy starts to curve close to the outer edge of the mounts.

Here are some pictures of the finished lights. I'm particularly pleased that they don't project out as far, and the proportions match the rear light clusters better too.

small115_new_fog_light_1.jpg

small115_new_fog_light_2.jpg

small115_new_fog_light_4.jpg

small115_new_fog_light_5.jpg

This Ian used the CBS slimline units but mounted them directly on the rear panel. Fitted screws loosely then laid a horizontal insulated cable core across the top of the screws .... so as the screws were tightened, the housing tilted until vertical. Then a small bead if black silicone applied between the base and rear panel.

Thanks Ian, it was one of your posts that put me onto the CBS units in the first place *smile*

Your technique was a lot quicker I am sure, but I haven't had much luck with getting silicone to look very good when I've tried sealing our bath in the past. There's no way I'd try applying it to such an obvious position on my Seven *rolleyes*

Nice job - they look so much better!  I used the same lights on my CSR and was very happy how they turned out.  Nicely bright compared with the former block units.  I did not use the wedge and just affixed to the panel as I felt the resulting upwards angle better suited the high seating position in the average MummyMobile 4WD/Chelsea tractor/etc that is invariably following me these days.