Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Sikaflex for carbon front wings

Goslima1

Hi all

Am in the process of building my 420R - want to go down the sticking the front wings on route; likely to go directly for the wing stays although I do have some bighead fasteners left over from first build.

I have previously used Sikaflex 292i and wanted to again but cant find any in black (only white) - being lazy I dont want to paint it ! However there is an abundance of 291i in black available. Has anyone got any experience of 291 ? The description says its a combined sealant and adhesive vs 292 being adhesive only.

Cheers

Martin

Soudal Fix All, you can get it for about £5 a tube, fantastic stuff, I have used it on various things over the years and bonded my wings with it 4 months, 5k miles ago and they are still solid. Just make sure you clean the paint off the stay where you are sticking first. 

Alan

Lots of ways of doing this job, I know, but for what it's worth I used a mix of bonding and screws. 

I drilled the front rails of the brackets and fitted 3, 35mm X 15mm studded big heads to them. I bonded the wing to the big heads using Sikaflex.

On the rear arms of the brackets I drilled and used black button head socket screws, as per manual for self building.

As my wings are carbon, the rear, low down screw heads aren't noticeable and the wings are easily removable from the stays if need be.

• Area Representative

TIGER is the same, a super glue based adhesive cum sealant.

It is very reasonably priced. I bought mine through Amazon but Googling the name will bring up all on-line outlets.

It is not the adhesive that is the main problem (apart from the mess) more the preparation & if this is done correctly the carbon wings can be adhered directly to the wing stays without any other form of support.

Having done this on three cars five times good preparation is the key.