Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Tightening top damper bolt

robjjones

Build is going well, had a good weekend last weekend. However, I was foxed by the top damper bolt and getting this little devil to the right torque. Having wrestled it into position, I can't get a torque wrench on it. I could leave it to PBC, but would rather not. Any guidance please folks? 

A long ball ended Allen driver on a socket will do the job. Or I used a crow's foot on a short piece of Allen key which is OK as long as the effective length is the same as the torque wrench- ie the crow's foot is at 90 degrees to ther length of the wrench.

Duncan

Thanks chaps. The ball end hex driver will see me sorted I think. My extension and conventional hex socket is at too oblique an angle to get the straight end into the head. I used a ball end Allen key to get it out. Off to the shops I go. Much appreciated.

I have two sets, 1/4 and 3/8 drive and also long ball ended hex bits; I think either method would work and probably explains why I never remember it as an issue. 

The wobble bars are very handy. They make torqueing things like the engine mounts, exh manifold and lots of other fasteners easy. 

I've invested in a set of wobble bars, thanks Scott. I still haven't quite managed to get the traction I wanted though, so I've judged the torque by feel against the bottom damper bolt using an Allen key, and made a note to get it checked at IVA. It's been a great excuse to buy more tools. I've got a set of crows feet arriving tomorrow, too.