Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Wipers

ScottR400D

Out in the rain (a rare occurrence) the other day, when a wiper came off its spindle. Managed to pick it up but in closer looking both seem at risk. 

The 'splines' in the wipers are completely different to this on the spindles and though the spring clips do hook under the spindle, as soon as the wiper is allowed to rest on the screen and the wiper spring is tensioned, the clips lift out of the groove they're in.  No wonder it fell off. 

Any thoughts?

Complete arm came off mine in heavy rain on the motorway. Was amazed that it just sat there while I slowed down. It had been hitting the frame since I got the car in May and I have been progressively sniping 10mm off the length each time I was out in the rain.  Now appears fixed after cutting off far more than I would have thought necessary.

Check the lip of the groove on the spindle where the clip sits.  Mine have worn here to a chamfer rather than a square edge so the clip can ride up out of the groove.  One of the winter jobs is to pull the drive cable out and rotate the spindles so that the clip now fits in a part of the groove that isn't worn.  I don't know how many times the wiper arms must have been on and off to cause the wear although the spindles are very soft.

First of all what you doing out on the rain you silly boys, don't you know That  will hurt your resale value. 

I had this so I cleaned the splines and very gently tightened the cap with some pliers with cloth in the jaws . If the blades are catching the frame at any point that will trigger a parting of the ways too. 

They've been off twice to fit the Aeroscreen in just over a year since the car was built. I have to agree that the spindles are poor quality and show signs of wear where the clip slides along, already.  I guess CC are too busy dreaming up new 'ultimate products' than fixing basic issues! 

Some good tips, thanks. I've got an idea myself which I'll try and then report back on.  

I think the problem is that the wipers have changed over the years (the original part was probably obsoleted) and the spindles were never changed to match the new arms. Mind you, the original arms with the very fine splines used to corrode on and were a bugger to remove after a year or so.

As for hitting the frame, the blades used to need cutting down by the installer.

When I switch from windscreen to Aero I have a pair of the black plastic nut covers (like the one on the exhaust bobbin by the rear wheel arch) which I pop over the spindles to keep things tidy.  They are a bit of a loose fit so I pop a blob of blue tack on top of the spindle and then push the nut cover over the top.  The blue tack is sufficient to "glue" the cover in place but a good pull at the end of the summer gets it off easily.  As is the nature of blue tack once it's been on something for a bit it can be hard to get it all off.  I have found that the tiny amount left stuck in the grooves of the spindle does a great job of helping the wiper arms to stay exactly where I want them.  I have not in the past experienced them coming off on their own but this may be why!