Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Sigma help please

Domus

On the ferry to Santander tomorrow, the TPS on my 150 seems to be moving around.  Running rough at low revs but flying over 4,000 rpm.

Can someone let me know the Ford part number for the sensor please. Might try a new one in Santander.  May try new plugs if I can get some in Plymouth. 

Ta

New plugs fitted and TPS re set in Parador car park, hotel guests interested in all the readings on the laptop. Just glad they did not ask what they all meant. TPS was way off again. How does this happen after only a few hundred miles?  Good test tomorrow up in to the mountains. 

I've had better luck by not tightening the TPS so much.

I went through a cycle of tightening it more and more when it would never stay stable.  Just seemed to make it worse.  The problem is that the body is made of plastic and it starts to distort easily.

Try setting it just more than finger tight, using the short leverage side of an allen key.

• 2 weeks later...

Update time.

Back from Sunny Spain and had a play with the car.  Replaced the cheap Ebay TPS with my old original Ford item. (Local Ford dealer wanted £108 for a new one) New short loom fitted from Caterham, less than £10 inc P&P.  Balanced the throttle bodies, re set TPS to 1.04 v (I used two tiny spring washers on top of the plain washers to hopefully stop the thing from vibrating loose) and re set the idle to 950 ish.

Only managed a short test run but included some busy town driving and managed a quite smooth 30 mph in 5th,  which was impossible last week even in 3rd.

I suspect the TBs need will balancing on a regular basis.

Fingers crossed that a regular check up will keep it running as well as it did the other day.

One question, can the TBs be adjusted individually?  Number 4 is different to number 3, only a midges' but 1 and 2 are very well matched.