Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Reluctant starting, K series.

Peter G

Gents, my little used K series VVC has developed the annoying habit of being very reluctant to start.

When starting today it was difficult to get going, and needed a decent amount of loud pedal for it to catch, and if released it would stall.

When warmer and under way it seems fine (I didn't go far today sadly). It sounds like a sensor problem to me.

I've tried the TPS (?) reset to no avail and I will check battery and earth terminals later (I'm still working allegedly) as it was also giving signs of a flattish battery despite it recording 12.5+ volts.

Any other suggestions?

Off on the PMMB tomorrow and don't really want to get stranded.

Lots of possible causes, as you're probably about to discover.

What's the voltage across the battery:

1. Engine off
  2. Minimum during cranking
  3. At 3,000 rpm?

Then disconnect, clean, inspect and reconnect all the cables to the starter, thick and thin, everything at both battery terminals, and the engine earths.

Jonathan

Did you investigate the intake air control valve? Typically starting from cold especially in cooler weather requires the accelerator to be partially depressed and will stall if the foot is removed but runs okay after a minute or two.

Another one I have had is a failing starter button that gave similar symptoms before packing up completely. With this when the engine did start the tick-over was up and down, reset then stable.

• 1 month later...
My 7 is restored to the way it always was ..... when I touch the starter button .... the engine starts instantly. Lately .... It needed a throttle press and several attempts. So a new battery was the answer. Seems the two year old Powervamp Odyssey red top wasn't so sealed after all .... signs of acid leakage.

• Area Representative

I have a 2004 R300 and suffered 18 months of starting problems. I initially poked the HT leads and coil and at the beginning of the problems, it would then start. However, it got worse and worse till it would just crank and not fire at all. The only way it would start was to squirt fuel into the Throttle Bodies and then it would run fine and re-start when hot. However, it would not start from cold. 

After spending rather a lot of money (£1000 plus) on replacing everything including the Starter motor, Battery, HT leads, rotor arm, Distributor Cap, Coil, sensors, MFR Relay module, TPS sensor, ring gear sensor, in line Fuel filter etc. etc. and having injectors and ECU's tested by SBD, it turned out to be the multipin connector under the throttle bodies that was the culprit. I now have a great spares kit !!!

I gave up with the car and Sevens & Classics sorted it, which they did very effectively. When S and C got the multipin open, it was green with corrosion. A squirt of £5 contact cleaner did the trick and now it starts fine. The history is in Tech B/C under a "A Reluctant Starter".  So check the basics first.

Do have a look at all your connectors and check for corrosion. I tried to undo my multipin connector, but it was a bit difficult to get separated and I failed to get it apart, as it was a bit awkward to get at. However, keep at it and and check for corrosion on everything,

Piers

Have we ever identified what this connector does as it would be nice to know why it causes such a huge (and expensive) problem.  I would guess it's coolant temperature sender signal to the ECU or something similar but so many guesses were made by so many people in the course of Piers's saga that I'm not very trusting of them anymore. *whistle*

Paul

Have we ever identified what this connector does...

Is this the 14-pin grey plug referred to in the K-series Assembly Guide thus:

"42  Attach the grey 14 pin plug from the engine wiring loom to the corresponding socket of the vehicle wiring loom (attached to the RH engine bay diagonal). Secure to the RH engine bay diagonal."

If so, it's shown in this wiring diagram (top left, near "Alternator"), but it's not clear to me what the various connections relate to.

ETA: Wiring diagram taken from this list (item "73414 Engine Harness K-seriesR3_4_5").

JV