Click here if you are having website access problems ×

R500 Race Clutch - Calling Peter Carmichael

Richard Anderson

After a lot of investigation I've settled on a dual-plate 184mm Helix racing clutch supported by a QED ultra-lightweight flywheel for my 1.9K.

I am told Peter Carmichael had a very similar setup in his 250bhp 1.8K.

What I don't know is if this setup needs a hydraulic clutch or the cable operated lever will be ok? 

I wonder if Peter or anyone else can confirm?

Cheers,

Rich.

I would think that it could be either, just depends on the mechanical ratios....I've just done a Duratec and used a Helix Clutch as well, but not as serious as your set up.

You'll need to look at the clutch finger as well to get the appropriate release bearing, are the clutch finger straight or curly at the end?

Cheers

Ian

Thanks everyone for the input :-)

You have helped the question along for me.

I have a Caterham dry sump with the fabricated clutch fork, which has already broken once.

I am now thinking that any consideration of a race clutch should be with the understanding that I will need to convert to hydraulic operation (if this is possible with the limited space of the bell housing with the oil sump).

I am currently trying to contact Peter Carmichael as he is the only other person I know using a race clutch in his car, to see if he can clarify.

Rich.

• 2 months later...