Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Zetec carbs to TB's

Colin Cooper

Hi Guys,

I am considering going from carbs to TB's for my standard Raceline 2ltr blacktop Zetec.

Omex have given me a few hints as have various blogs, but a lot is still unclear to a non-mechanic. I am thinking of going with the Omex 170bhp kit, but this only goes so far re the total work required.

Do I need to change the fuel tank, and run dual fuel pipes?

Has anyone gone down this route who could offer a few pointers.

Cheers,

Col

Col,

Have a look here and here (latter part of article) for a more detailed description of my conversion.

I chose to change the fuel tank as I managed to get hold of an injection tank and in tank fuel pump quite easily. However, it can also be done by adding a swirl pot and a high pressure pump to your existing set up but I'll leave that to others who have gone this route to give you a detailed description

Michael & Elie,

Thank you both for you inputs, and Michael for the inserts.

If it was just 'under the hood' work, I would probably go ahead, but changing the tank, etc, I don't think so. I already have more than enough power at 175bhp, and was really only looking to add smoothness, and economy.

Thanks anyway.

Col   

My car has the VX 16V engine in it, originally this was running on Weber 45's and an electronic ignition but only 2D, i.e. no link to throttle position.

I purchased a newer model ECU that could run a full 3D map. I got a basic map with that made life a little simpler it but after installation it did need mapping and you will need a new engine loom. (Loom I purchased was full loom capable of adding injectors later)

Once mapped I got a little more power it was much more "driveable" and as an unintended benefit mpg was better.

i did got to full injection later but first step was a big improvement. It was not an option when I did it but if you want the carb look you can convert the carb bodies to fuel injection.

Hope the above helps.

After converting to 45s in 2014 on my Zetec I think I am going to take the plunge and go injection just to get the smooth instant revs and a better drive.

Will need a new tank and an ecu etc, lots of advice on here as to what to get but who would be able to complete this work in the midlands area ?

Any suggestions as although I have the time time not sure I have the knowledge. I'm okay bolting bits on but fuel lines and wiring worry me.