Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Input plenum flexing under WOT - should I be concerned?

tomwood

I now understand its on tick over while the butterfly is shut restricting the incoming airflow causing the partial collapsing of the plenum ! . When I was still using the plenum on mine I never saw what you are experiencing so I would say it's a defective part , Have you spoken to CC  ? 

Thanks guys, this certainly looks like an option that could be worth considering then by the looks of it. Can't imagine relocating the battery to be all that difficult. Likewise the air box will be easy to remove.

just so I'm clear, the throttle body is the bit between the plenum and the filter with the butterfly valve correct?

ill have a look more closely at mine and see if it looks like those in the photos (thanks for those). I'll try and work out whether it would likely fit the alloy plenum. Hopefully it's a like for like swap.

i think I'd probably be best calling Caterham first to see what they have to say about it. If they think for certain it's not normal then I'll need to start thinking of what option to take.

John - are you happy for me to contact you as and when?

Tom, I suspect you've got a particularly thin casting. Definitely should talk to Caterham about it. Your videos show the issue very well. If I were you I'd avoid switching to the alloy boat anchor. It causes heat soak issues, particularly on trackdays. Not only does it pull air from behind the hot block, it also then adds soaked heat from the block for good measure.

That and it weights a ton!

If CC think it's normal, ask them if they are happy indemnifying you against the cost of an engine rebuild if it does fail and get eaten.

Mine is a 2011 year. 

I wouldn't have thought yours is getting any worse than from new. Your plastic is predominantly thinner causing it to flex more easily. The question is whether it is within the manufacturers tolerance.

i must admit I've never noticed mine doing that until I checked after seeing yours.

So, spoke to the Main Technician at Caterham South. Apparently the design of these have been changed more recently to make them a bit stiffer but he has watched the better of the videos I took and reckons that its well within what he would consider to be normal.

So its a case of TADTS. I will however be watching it very closely to see if it gets any worse.

I'd agree with Rattie that the plastic plenum is a better all-round bet than the alloy one.  When I was up with the Two Steve's in Sep 2010, Steve P was less than complimentary about the alloy item for the same reasons (heat soak etc).  He had a 7 there fitted with the plastic plenum (possibly under test as I think it was before CC switched over), and said the lack of kink in the body of the plenum improved airflow.

John - are you happy for me to contact you as and when?

No problem.  I'l PM you my contact number.

JV

Thanks John, what you and Rattie have said makes a lot of sense. Also in light of the feedback I got from Caterham today I'm inclined to stick with it and monitor it for now.

it is interesting though that I was told the design has been made stiffer recently. I did ask if they'd seen any failures of the plastic plenums and i was assured there hadn't been any.

The neatest solution would be a stiff exoskeleton, but hard to get the points of contact right. Ribs and backbones? Could be done in plastic with 3D printing or in aluminium using water jet cutting. (I don't understand carbon fibre reinforced plastic.)

But it might be possible, and would be a lot simpler, to use long worm drive strips and clips. How about a couple around it at 1/3 and 2/3 of the long axis?

Jonathan

By trying to reinforce the plenum your self and the possibility of it going wrong and causing engine failure you will have no hope with CC , Personally I think take a very firm stand with CC and demand a replacement !. Especially now you know they are making the newer ones reinforced !. 

My 2012 car never had a problem , I think yours is defective .

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So, finally had the chance to fit the new plenum. Struggled to get the old one off at first because some of the bolts were inaccessible. Made all the more easy once the belt tensioner was removed from the engine so for those doing this job in the future, do this first and save yourself some time.

The new plenum is definitely different in its composition. I took photos of the inside of both old and new and they are noticeably different textures. That said, that's about the only distinguishing factor, they otherwise look the same.

have done another comparison video now it's on the car:

the lighting isn't great so sorry about that. To me it looks marginally better but it does still flex a fair bit.