Click here if you are having website access problems ×

6 inch or 8 inch?

mossy7

So as a follow on to my tech question about 15 or 13 inch wheels, the resounding answer was 13s.

Made my mind up for some nice 13inch Apollo wheels in black from Caterham and ZZS tyres ( probably..some discussion about N 70s to follow!) 

There remains the vexed question of 6 or 8 inch on the rear with various people suggesting one or the other. 

So, lets have a quick poll; 6 inch all round or 6 inch front and 8 inch rear? 

Car is a 140 Sigma with LSD. I may in due course up grade the engine a bit. It's 90% road use.

on your marks, get set, go!!!

6" rears for all-round use. If more than 200bhp and there is a need to put the power down in slow corners with large throttle openings, then 8" rears.

On my 210bhp R400, I use 15x6.5" wheels all the way around for road use (it is hard to get 13" road tyres in Canada), then swap to 13x6" front / 13x8" rear wheels with slicks for track use.

Mossy to me go with what you can afford and like the look of, however as you know from our private blat messages to me it has ot be 8" & 6' in my style.

Out today I still pushed it (off road of course) an pushed the tail out as requested. *driving*

Mrp

My car came with 8's on the rear and the spare pair of 6's the owner had taken off to fit them. I like the look of the 8's so have kept them on.

I get that there is no advantage to having 8's on my 140hp car but is there a performance disadvantage?

My non Caterham wheels are weight wise close to the 6" ones and they look much better, I can still spin the wheels, hang the tail out and do donuts if required and for things like Dunsfold I still have the 6". wheels. Looks wise and normal pressing on type blating I find the 8" with ZZR's much more secure and stable. My car has an LSD and Nitron (Simon Rogers) adjustable shocks and is wide track with big brakes. 

It is very much a personal decision down to how you like your set up and where and how you drive.

My personal opinion.

Mrp