Click here if you are having website access problems ×

13 or 15 inch wheels. What do you think? -Sorted!

mossy7

I know it's been covered in other threads but I am still a bit confused. I am currently running 14 inch wheels and as part of my tinkering wonder whether a change may bring improvements. 

What is the collective opinion of changing to 13 inch or 15 inch wheels in terms of ride and handling feed back? Do 13s bring an improvement in acceleration that's noticeable? Should I have 6 inch wide all round or 6 front and 8 rear? 

What is best tyre for road use?

And if I change, is it just a straight swap? 

For info I have an S3 Roadsport 140 Sigma so not huge power, running 185/60 14s. 

Thanks in Advance,

Andy

Hi Jonathan,

wet performance not really an issue. I may do the odd track day but 90 percent road use. As for clearance I manage ok with speed bumps with my 14s so don't want to go much lower. Its on Avon ZV3 tyres. ( not at home so can't check profile) 

I have 14 inch wheels with Uniroyal Rain Expert tyres on a Sigma 125. I find they are excellent for road use in all weathers, but they are obviously not as fast as less treaded tyres.

If I was to swap wheels, I would definitely go to 13s even though I would lose some ground clearance.

I have a friend with more power and zzs tyres on 13s and he has been happy with grip, but did have some aquaplaning in really bad Scottish rain while my Uniroyals didn't give me any nasty moments.

Definitely stick to 6 inch rears with your power *smile* it'll be more fun.

I don't know about 14" except that there is less choice of tyre. I've used 13" for years but last year bought a set of 15" as an experiment. I can't say whether it's the wheel size or the tyre (Toyo T1R) but they spoil the feel of my car on the road, cause armfuls of understeer on track, and so I'm going back to 13".  Jonathan has a good point about wet weather - I'm much happier on A-021Rs in winter (I didn't think they were available in 14"?) and have vivid memories of acquaplaning in rush hour traffic on the M3 on worn A-032Rs :o

I run mine on 13" and zzr tyres 215 on the back and 185 on the front. I went for minilights with a different offset which in my view looks much better. Post if you want more details or pictures. My 2009 Sigma car has undergone the same transfomation as yours

Mrp

You won't experience much difference between 13 and 14"  - the main factor to think about is what kind of tyres you want (sticky like ZZRs or R888s, or harder road tyres like Toyo T1R) which can give huge variations in ride as well as handling.

Generally I think Caterhams are at their best on 13" wheels - light and nimble handling, and the tall profile of eg R888s makes them very comfortable for touring too..  Some people fit 15 or even 16" wheels with uncomfortable low profile tyres because they fill the wheel arches and look good but the ride is usually terrible.

I agree about sticking with 6" wide rears if you have around 140hp.

• Leadership Team

I'm still very new to 7s, so attended their introductory Get To know Your Seven course recently at Caterham South.  If I have taken my notes correctly, we were told that 13" were far better for handling (though they can "look a little lost on an SV") and preferably with ZZS tryres, which were better in the wet, though ZZR were also said to be very good.

• 2 weeks later...

assuming I followed the manual

current are 205/45 vr16 which would change to 185/65 hr 14

According to a chart on the net the 205s are 577 and the 185s are 591 od so I suppose there is not a huge difference on OD

Where would I get the speedo re calibrated? It is a  standard caterham speedo from a 2003 roadsport

According to my sat nav, the car is doing 60 when the speedo reads 70. [i wondered wht everyone overtook me when I was driving at an indicated 70]

Current display is 1.167 x true.

577 to 591 is 1.024. That would take the display to 1.140 x true, or 61 mph displayed at 70 mph.

Is that an electronic or mechanical speedometer? I don't know when they changed.

On some (? all) electronic speedometer recalibration is a matter of pressing buttons. 

On factory mechanical speedometers I think the repairers can change the gearing but i'm not certain. A cheaper option is to add lines at the speeds of interest using something like Letraset.

Jonathan