Click here if you are having website access problems ×

High oil temperature

thompster

After a prolonged high speed run in the UK and again in France my oil was showing 120C and sometimes slightly more. It's a 1.6K supersport spec with an apollo.  Is that temperature normal and how bad is it?  Wondering if I need to invest in an oil cooler.

From Dave Andrews' page: http://kengine.dvapower.com/

Oil temperature

Oil temperature can be a problem on some highly tuned engines, consider 110 degrees to be an absolute maximum, if your oil goes beyond this temperature then you have a problem which needs to be controlled.

Make sure it's not overfilled. Not quite sure how it all works with an Apollo but on mine (VVC, wet sump, no Apollo) you only have to overfill a little bit and it starts being thrashed by the crankshaft and gets hot quickly. Keep it within the hatched part of the dipstick (checked when hot and running) and it's fine.

From my recently fitted oil temperature sensor I have found that when driving on UK A/B roads at a variable 40-60mph the oil and water temperatures equalise at a smidgen over 80C after about 15 minutes and in traffic even when the fan has kicked in the oil does not move significantly above this. The only thing that for me has raised oil temperatures is on dual carriageway/motorway runs at a constant 70mph which can raise the oil to low-mid 90C and the water stays at just over 80C.

Mine is a VVC with no Apollo, no cooler, no sump foam and with a wet sump.

120C sounds high especially with the cooling benefit of an Apollo. If it were me (I am no expert) and the oil level is correct I would consider a thermostatically controlled cooler. There is often a downside with an upgrade so do some research before making any changes.

Consider the mod of moving the oil temp probe from the oil tank to one of the spare ports in the oil filter house, under the alternator, for a reading of the temperature of the oil entering the engine.

I'm no longer wet sump but I have two oil temp probes, one in the oil tank (much larger capacity than an Apollo) and one in the oil filter housing. I've found that there can 15-20 degrees difference between the two, with the oil in the tank being the hotter. With serious track thrashing, 100 degrees in the tank could "only" be just above 80 degrees at the filter housing.

No idea why such a big difference or how accurate the gauges and senders are. Just observations with a dry sumped engine. Do check your oil level as revilla says though.

PS. Bedford next month? Seeing if my engine is going to be noise-friendly or not.

If it turns out you do need an oil cooler, the best bet IMHO for an Apollo-equipped K is a Laminova.  Very easy to fit.  Lots in the archives, but you could start here.  One major bonus is that, being an oil-coolant heat exchanger, it warms cold oil quickly as well as cooling hot oil.

JV

"... I have found that when driving on UK A/B roads at a variable 40-60mph the oil and water temperatures equalise at a smidgen over 80C after about 15 minutes and in traffic even when the fan has kicked in the oil does not move significantly above this. The only thing that for me has raised oil temperatures is on dual carriageway/motorway runs at a constant 70mph which can raise the oil to low-mid 90C and the water stays at just over 80C.

Mine is a VVC with no Apollo, no cooler, no sump foam and with a wet sump."

Could have written every word of that myself *smile*

Interesting comments, thanks all. Water temperature was fine at a smidge over 80 despite the high outside temperature. If I had been doing a steady 90 (which I wasn't) the oil would have been at 120, dropping back to 110 at 80. It could well be oil level related as I've just changed it and aimed for the full mark. I'll take some out and see if drops the temperature.