Click here if you are having website access problems ×

IVA Question(steering column) and any recent advice?

tommyg

Hi All

I have my IVA (finally) on Friday, yeah!

Has anybody recently taken a car with a quick release steering through?  My question is because Jon at Millwood has provided me with a spare "fixed" steering column and suggested I fixed it instead of the quick release for the IVA.  However, I have not seen anybody else mention this nor is it suggested in the manual, therefore given the other jobs I need to do to get it finished I would rather not do it if not necessary.  Thoughts and experiences?

Any other recent IVA advice not in the Caterham manual/IVA advice sheet?

thanks!

Tom

My car was IVA'd June last year so unless things have changed it's fine to have the detachable wheel column fitted. 

What's not good for IVA is a Momo wheel with no padding on the centre. CC fitted one of their detachable, padded wheels for the test in my case. 

I put my 160 through IVA last year at Southampton and had to borrow a steering wheel and top column assembly with a collapsible boss from Caterham. They fitted it a Post Build Check. After IVA I changed back to the normal fit and posted it back to them. At IVA I was asked for an assurance that the wheel/boss assembly would not be changed out after the test and (with a straight face!) convinced them it wouldn't. 

It seems that it isn't a requirement of the IVA to have a collapsible boss, though some inspectors might think it is.

I think it's required to have some sort of collapsible column, which the 7 seems to have with the clamp arrangement where the two halves join, though I readily stand to be corrected on all these points. 

Having said that the IVA regs apparently don't eliminate wheels without padding but I understood they won't pass.