Click here if you are having website access problems ×

New engine woes

LesG

Got a bit of a head-scratcher going on, hope someone can help me out. I've got my freshly-built K series re-installed into my car, and I'm ready to crank her over to build up some oil pressure before firing her up after this major overhaul. Trouble is; I've no ignition on light, the starter doesn't crank, and the end cell of my battery gets very warm very quickly (I could hear the cell fizzing internally)

Everything points to a dead short somewhere, and I've checked for any squished wires from the engine swap procedure. All fuses are good, the engine to chassis earth lead is good, the battery master switch fully operational etc. I'm a bit stumped, and I'm booked on the dyno for Friday morning!

Any ideas please?

Recheck the wiring and connections to the alternator. You're going to need to know why the ignition light isn't coming on before you go any further.

What sort of battery? And if it's the sort that you can top up have you checked the fluid level?

What's the voltage across the battery with the ignition off and then on (!)? I wouldn't try to start it until that's fixed. But if you do what's the voltage across the battery while trying to start?

Jonathan

Thanks Jonathan, it's a Powervamp Red Top 20, so sealed, about 12 months old, although the car has been laid up the last 5 months with no engine in! I'll do those checks tomorrow night cheers.

Get the battery load tested at a local garage/battery shop?  It may be the cause rather than a symptom.

Or try a different battery on the car - though if the car wiring is the problem this could leave you with another battery fizzing.

SM25T was just about right! Turned out the battery cable off the alternator was touching the alternator body, thereby shorting to earth! Didn't notice it straight away due to the exhaust headers in the way, but a simple tweak with a screwdriver to bend it clear and all was well! So I cranked up the oil pressure, installed spark plugs, connected HT lead on coil, and she fired up straight away! Next stop; dyno on Friday!

Thanks for your suggestions guys!

Did you fit a plug to the wires to the alternator? I did after mine shorted. I didn't even realise there was a plug available until I looked at pictures of the alternator online... Mine was shorting in wet weather, not sure how exposed yours is, mine is a Crossflow. Anyway, a few pounds on eBay (universal alternator plug) and a bit of crimping and soldering and I've had no issues since. 

image_50.jpeg.c6e4e7fd57d328adcc3a35202b5abc6b.jpeg