Click here if you are having website access problems ×

O/T replacement brake discs - OEM vs OE vs aftermarket

TomB

Hi,

Not for the 7, but I need to replace the rear discs on a 2001 Mini Cooper that Ive bought but needs a bit of TLC to make it fully fit.  On Euro Car Parts I see a variety of discs, ranging from ~£15 each for Eicher brand (ECP own brand apparently) through to £35 each for Bosch, with Pagid and Brembo inbetween.

Are discs, just discs and for a relatively normal car I shouldnt worry about fitting the cheaper parts? Or will I regret not spending a bit more and end up replacing them in a couple of years as theyve cracked or corroded away?

Similarly for pads - the Eicher brand are about half the price of the rest.  Im wondering about fitting the cheaper discs - but better pads.  Im not a metalurgist, but Id think there would be less variation in disc material than pad material.

What do you think?

Tom

We fitted all sorts over about twenty five years in a busy independent garage depending on customer budget or requirements. Can't say that any of them,OE or cheapest seemed to behave or wear any differently.

Tony

• Area Representative

Hi Tom,

just doing a full swap over on Dominic's golf and my local garage that does all our MOTs and spannering told me to use Brembo pads and discs. For a few quid difference they fit better than the cheaper ones they reckon. Plus discount codes help drop the price quite a bit

From my local motor factor 'shop' I've always been offered two alternatives and gone for the dearer option;  APEC always found their products to be OK.

Tom.......been to Elgol today, stunning views but the weather!!!

eBay have quite a few disc and pads sets, including one for £30 for the rear, apparently the seller has 'Trupart' stocks in at the moment. That does sound very cheap, perhaps too cheap!  I think using ECP regular discounts and getting a higher quality item is the way forwards.  Currently they have a -15% offer with an online code.

Hi Tom, I must read posts more carefully *yes* , pads were a totally different situation, the cheapo ones gave all manner of grief, choose a reasonably well known name and you're unlikely to have problems.

Tony

Over the years I've come to the conclusion that there is nothing in the world that is so simple that someone can't make it that bit cheaper by making it a bit crap. Having said that, disks are cast iron, and we all know that the world markets are flooded with cheap steel/iron. You should be OK with a brand that has a reputation to maintain, even if it is an 'own brand'. Pads are much more complicated.