Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Caterham Newbie - Wk1 and beyond

Dobson_justin

image.jpeg.7cae39ec2e024d721e215a34f0ebd640.jpegHi all, I picked up my first Caterham on Friday, have cleaned it, polished it, and stood back and admired it. Now I have reached the limit of my skills, I thought I would use the forum to start asking the kind of questions that may be daft at times, but will definitely help me, and may help any others who are new to this.  

First question. What does the button above do?  The previous owner said it was "connected to a lamda sensor which is a feed into the emerald engine management system, but I have always left it well alone".   Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks

Second question, on a run out in it today, I noticed the car was bottoming out a bit on some uneven country roads, and having a look underneath when I got back, showed that the car is indeed very low. Is this normal for Caterhams, or do I need to find a way to raise the ride height? It seems to be a bit impractical as it currently stands.  See pic attached where you can see the bottom of the chassis which is silver.image_0.jpeg.170128f18a11e6cc4ecb22afdf0b56f8.jpeg

The rough guide to sump clearance is a coke can should be able to roll under the sump, but a wine bottle shouldn't *biglaugh*

If that's about where yours is, then some of us who suffered grounding on undulating roads have changed the front springs to stiffer ones. Doesn't need to affect the ride height but significantly reduces the likelihood of grounding out on compressions.

Generally you just need to be wary of narrow single track roads with a raised centre 'hump', and similarly try to avoid the bigger raised cats eyes. Speed humps can generally be taken cautiously, and I tend to go between adjacent "speed cushions" with the wheels going over the cushions.

Red button;- I suspect it may be connected to an "Innovate LC-1" wide band lambda sensor. The button will be to initiate a calibration event (sensor needs to be in open air) and the led indicates sensor status. Web search for a LC-1 sensor manual for more informative (and accurate) details.

Ian

Looks like you've a dry sump which allows you to run the car lower than a wet sump car because the sump is shallower.  You still want to aim for about 80mm below the sump, but that will be ~1-2cm lower than the equivelent wet sump set up.

• 2 weeks later...

Had my car in for a health check today. It was extremely low at the front as I suspected, but as the platforms are adjustable so this has been raised now, which means the ride has been transformed.  The fronts were almost at the bottom of the thread on the dampers.   Also the oil catch tank was half full, and this was causing what looked like an oil leak, but the breather pipes seemed to be dropping some oil from the catch tank.  This has been drained and should be ok now.

Now I think I need stiffer springs, to firm up the ride a bit more as it still feels a bit soft , but has improved with the ride height change.  

Main question is whether I need an anti-roll bar on the front. There is not one at the moment, but interested in any thoughts on whether this is required.  I intend to spend a reasonable amount of time on track, probably 50/50 road and track.

Another vote for talking to simon, or at least someone who knows 7 suspension.

I had harder springs put  on the front of mine by a suspension expert. It did make it tighter on track, but it was skittish and harsh on the road. Also i ended up removing the front anti-roll bar completely as it was just understeering too much with the stiff springs.

I have changed to slightly harder than normal spring , with adjustable dampers. the car is far more compliant on the road and can now fide potholes without it feeling like the end of the world. If you firm the damping up, the car feels really taught on track - much firmer than with the stiff springs/normal damper.

Adam

• 2 weeks later...

Four weeks in.  I have arranged for Gemsoe to flat floor my car and check the geometry, and will have a front anti roll bar added I the next week or two, in readiness for my first track day on 16th June at Cadwell.  I have a jack, axle stands, rivet gun, and bringing some other kit and tools together.  So I is all coming together nicely, and it is starting to make sense. 

i need some windscreen mounted mirrors, and have seen some Pitking mirrors on demon tweaks which look good. Anyone got any experience with these or other mirror suggestions?